Author Topic: Brass nameplate  (Read 6828 times)

Offline 10bulls

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
  • Coding Jedi
    • View Profile
    • www.cambam.info
Brass nameplate
« on: November 24, 2008, 22:12:42 pm »
I recently made a couple of brass nameplates for someone.

The toolpaths were generated using the new File->New From Template.. menu option and the nameplate.cb template supplied with the latest 0.9.4 release.

I also used another new feature : Window Opacity.  The person requesting the nameplates had provided me with a wordart file that had the font and layout they wanted.  I was able to set the window opacity to 80%, then overlay CamBam over the reference artwork and alter the layout to match the request.  (Can't screen capture this unfortunately).

I used a 2mm 3 flute end mill to cut the island pocket (using the new profile pocket method), leaving 0.2mm roughing clearance.  I then used a 1mm ballnose to profile around the letters to give more detail.  The ballnose profile also had a 4 degree taper side profile option set.  This worked well, but was a little hard to notice...I may try 7 degrees next time.

For a finishing touch, I added a trimming profile using a 45 degree cutter around the letters.  This also picked up a bit more detail in parts the 1mm ballnose couldn't reach.

The first plate was a nightmare, my cnc controller borked on me part way through the island pocket, so I had to re-reference to tool to the inside edge of a part cut toolpath.   :o (remind me to get those homing switches on !!!).  Second one went much smoother.

Offline blowlamp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Brass nameplate
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 13:50:05 pm »
 They look alright! The angled profile really does make the letters stand out in a very elegant way. Did you use the new machine - is it finished yet?

All the best.
Martin.

Offline EL34

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • EL34's CNC Stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 14:41:58 pm »
Yes, I like the way those letters look!!

Nice job Andyman
Mach 3, Cambam, Autodesk Quickcad 8, machine info -> http://www.el34world.com/Misc/Cnc/CNC0.htm

Offline coolant slinger

• Wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 13:29:30 pm »
Nice work Andy. I'm new to this site but it's nice to know that the software programmer of CAMBAM  acctually has an interest in machining.

What brand of cnc are you using or is it a home brew machine?

Eric in NC