Author Topic: Creating Edge Profiles with Profile Router Cutters  (Read 2375 times)

Offline GeoffreyGRoy

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
Creating Edge Profiles with Profile Router Cutters
« on: June 19, 2018, 00:39:04 am »
For some time I have been experimenting with using standard profile cutters in my CNC machine.  As an outcome I have now prepared the attached tutorial that might be of interest.  There are no real issues, but the set up is sometimes a little tedious.

Comments and suggestions are welcome

Geoff

Offline Bob La Londe

• CNC Jedi
  • ^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.
    • View Profile
    • CNC Molds N Stuff
Re: Creating Edge Profiles with Profile Router Cutters
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 14:00:03 pm »
I might add a mention in the introductory section that more complex shapes can be created using the basic methods.  If only for those users who may already be versed in them.  I've used them to create radius cuts with a tangent cut to follow for example.  I do note you mentioned they can be tedious to use, and I agree 100%.  

Over all I like your methodology, and discovered a basic tool I was not aware of how to use previously.  The Edit Subtract command you show on page 7 is someting I had not used befrore, and I can see plenty of applications where it would have saved me time in the past.  

I would not sugget the engrave with line offset from geometry for cutting personally.  I would suggest a profile with the offset set in the profile's roughing clearance setting so that you can use things like a tangent lead in and lead out rather than just a plunge.  Or possibley mention both and of course show the field.  

Very good tutorial.  

~~~~  It just occured to me I have used edit subract before.  I just forgot about it.  LOL.   :D  ~~~~

« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 14:21:51 pm by Bob La Londe »
Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com