Author Topic: An excercise in Scripting to help design and make a Mechanical Iris  (Read 1615 times)

Offline GeoffreyGRoy

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
I am attaching a short tutorial/discussion on the use of scripting to assist in the design and manufacture of a mechanical iris.  I was attracted to this project when I started considering the use of an mechanical iris to vary the light output from a table lamp (instead of an electronic solution).

Having found a design online, I began by asking the questions: Does it work? Is the drawing accurate?  The Geometry is quite complex, so I turned to writing a CamBam script to answer these question.  The results are included in the attachments: A description of the task, the resulting script and a CamBam model to test it out.

The script simulates the behaviour of the iris as it opens/closes, and also formally checks for conflicts between the moving parts to allow for any necessary changes to the geometry to be made.

Any feed back or comments are most welcome.

Geoff

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: An excercise in Scripting to help design and make a Mechanical Iris
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 08:56:25 am »
Good one Geoff.
I do like to see an elegant mechanical design, I will have to delve into the script tonight.
Made in England

Offline GeoffreyGRoy

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 09:19:44 am »
As a follow up, I have now used the mechanical iris in a table lamp, details are attached.

Geoff

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 10:32:45 am »
Nice looking lamp but quick time video is no good to me, can you save it in a more universal format ?
Made in England

Offline Bubba

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 11:57:29 am »
Nice lamp. Eddy VLC open Qt files.
My 2ยข

Win10 (64 bit, CB(1.0)rc 1(64 bit) Mach3, ESS, G540, Endurance Laser.