Author Topic: VBS scripts will not run with Windows 11  (Read 226 times)

Offline Chopper

• Ewok
    • View Profile
VBS scripts will not run with Windows 11
« on: March 20, 2024, 21:38:16 pm »
I recently upgraded to Windows 11 (My old computer died & the new one came with W11). I am now unable to run VBS scripts (Python scripts run just fine). Sadly, I don't write Python ... been a VB guy for years. I really don't want to learn a new computer language at this stage of life. When I try to run a VBS script, I get an error message that says it can't find "Microsoft.VisualBasic.vsa" followed by a whole mess of alphabet soup. Has anyone else seen this or anything similar, and does anyone have any suggestions? I am at my wit's end.

Offline dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam V1.0 French Doc
Re: VBS scripts will not run with Windows 11
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 21:43:48 pm »
Hello

maybe it must be installed/enabled

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/install-or-uninstall-vbscript-feature-in-windows-11.13095/

MS plane to remove VB script from Windows  ::)

Sadly, I don't write Python ... been a VB guy for years

me too, and I really hate python !! ... but no problem for me, I still use W7 .. LOL

++
David

« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 21:48:30 pm by dh42 »

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 22:36:40 pm »
Which is why I will not 'upgrade' to Win-11, and have turned off ALL upgrades to my Win-10 system.

I recently had to drop back to a backup to restore that upgrade blocking, because WinBlows sneaked in what amounts to a virus attack that re-enabled disabled updates!  Except that they're more powerful than most governments (including the USA), they should be prosecuted criminally for such an act!

Lloyd
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 23:28:18 pm by lloydsp »
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

Offline Chopper

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 22:47:47 pm »
DH2: thank you for your quick response ... much appreciated. Unfortunately, the referenced "fix" did not work for me. Apparently, my Windows "Build" doesn't contain VBScript, so I wasn't able to enable ("add") it. I'm so frustrated now that I'm just walking away from the whole mess for a while. Thanks again.

And by the way, for anyone reading this: DO NOT INSTALL WINDOWS 11!  iT IS SIGNIFICANTLY LESS ENJOYABLE THAN ROPE BURNS, ACID REFLUX, AND HAVING YOUR TESTICLE POUNDED FLAT WITH A WOODEN MALLET.

Offline dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam V1.0 French Doc
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 00:04:12 am »
 ::) ... no luck ...

Note that this tutorial is only applicable to the Canary channel build 25309 or higher. It is currently not applicable to any other channel.

Also note that VBScript is installed on all Windows 11 builds.

maybe you can update your W11 to this build ?

https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_11_build_25309

And by the way, for anyone reading this: DO NOT INSTALL WINDOWS 11!  iT IS SIGNIFICANTLY LESS ENJOYABLE THAN ROPE BURNS, ACID REFLUX, AND HAVING YOUR TESTICLE POUNDED FLAT WITH A WOODEN MALLET.

;D
++
David

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
  • Made in England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 10:50:12 am »
Windows XP and 7 were quite good versions I thought.
My machine uses XP, it never connects to anything, I also have a win7 laptop that does not connect to anything.

I have two suggestions,

1. Get an older system from ebay etc. and use that to run your scripts.

2. learn Python or better still move to C# and plugins. Anyone who knows VB should have no real problem moving to those, the worst thing is to move back and forth between them.

In 1971 the UK changed to decimai money, my grandmother used to constantly convert from new money to old money, I used to say, forget the old money just go with the new and she found that a lot easier.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 10:52:33 am by EddyCurrent »
Filmed in Supermarionation

Offline Chopper

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 20:11:36 pm »
Again, thanks to all who responded. Slept on it ... decided it was no big deal. MS implies that as soon as I'm updated to Build 25309 my problem might be solved - I have my doubts.

At any rate, failing the appearance of some digital epiphany, I will simply rely on scripts/plugins/whatevers that have been constructed by others, or not use them at all ... it's not like I make a living with my homemade CNC router ... it's just a past-time.

Not gonna learn Python (or anything else in the way of computer programese) ... not gonna go back to an older system (I already have 3 machines to keep track of, don't want another). Not worth the hassle.

Thanks again, folks ... and be well.