Author Topic: Partial BreakEdge  (Read 298 times)

Offline Chip Owner

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
Partial BreakEdge
« on: May 12, 2024, 11:39:44 am »
I'm curious if I'm making this chamfer more complex than it needs and there is a simpler method.

To chamfer the edge of the lower shelf, in CAD I'd draw on a seperate layer 3 of it's sides, making them just over half the width of my chamfer bit (8mm 90' V bit), so usually 5mm short of the wall, and have the MOP start and end the path there. 

Offline dave benson

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Partial BreakEdge
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 23:43:06 pm »
The break edges plugin does this, you do need to have a tool
with its details setup in your tool library though.

Offline Chip Owner

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2024, 07:30:00 am »
The break edges plugin does this, you do need to have a tool
with its details setup in your tool library though.

Sorry I should have added, I can't use the breakedge plugin as the minimum chamfer on those is 1mm, I used that image as it was the easiest way to explain it, but the majority of parts are 1-2mm thickness so any chamfer is typically around 0.3mm. 

Offline dave benson

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2024, 06:10:18 am »
Here's a 0.3 mm chamfer, as your material is only 1 or 1.5 mm thick, you'll have to make sure that there is
enough clearance for the tip of the tool.

Offline Chip Owner

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2024, 19:41:12 pm »
Here's a 0.3 mm chamfer, as your material is only 1 or 1.5 mm thick, you'll have to make sure that there is
enough clearance for the tip of the tool.

That's interesting, when I treid to use this plugin before, I was told the minimum setting was 1mm.

I will try again.

Offline dave benson

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2024, 00:58:32 am »
The 1 mm default value in the 'Start cutting so many mm up from the bottom of the tip'
really is the minimum as if you cut at the tip then you'll most likely break it as the effective
tool diameter is minuscule requiring almost infinite rpm or infinitely low cutting speed.
For my 5 flute 6 mm 90 deg carbide tool I cut as close to the top of the cutting edge as the clearance of the job will allow.
The values in the break edges mop should not be modified after generating the mop, say for example if you generate a break edges mop
for a 1 mm face width and change your mind, then delete the part and mop and re-generate a new one say for 1.5 mm face width.
When you simulate the cut in camotics  you have to manually change the tool dia back to 6 mm
and 90 deg v cutter or the cutter details that you generated the mop in CB with, as the plugin modifies this and the roughing clearance to make CB make a chamfer.
So to simulate the cut make the break edges mop generate the code then load it up in camotics and edit the tools details back to 6 mm dia and 90 deg cut angle.
Press the camotics refresh button and your good to go.

Dave
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 01:14:04 am by dave benson »

Offline Chip Owner

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2024, 13:21:52 pm »
The 1 mm default value in the 'Start cutting so many mm up from the bottom of the tip'
really is the minimum as if you cut at the tip then you'll most likely break it as the effective
tool diameter is minuscule requiring almost infinite rpm or infinitely low cutting speed.
For my 5 flute 6 mm 90 deg carbide tool I cut as close to the top of the cutting edge as the clearance of the job will allow.
The values in the break edges mop should not be modified after generating the mop, say for example if you generate a break edges mop
for a 1 mm face width and change your mind, then delete the part and mop and re-generate a new one say for 1.5 mm face width.
When you simulate the cut in camotics  you have to manually change the tool dia back to 6 mm
and 90 deg v cutter or the cutter details that you generated the mop in CB with, as the plugin modifies this and the roughing clearance to make CB make a chamfer.
So to simulate the cut make the break edges mop generate the code then load it up in camotics and edit the tools details back to 6 mm dia and 90 deg cut angle.
Press the camotics refresh button and your good to go.

Dave

Thanks, that's really useful.

I typically cut at 0.3mm from the tip, but usually also only a very fine chamfer, I'm pretty much just trying to deburr internal edges most of the time. I've got a project this next week that setting up a 'style' with that plugin and a 1mm chamfer would prove useful. Though I've got several, lately I've been favouring an 8mm 90's chamfer as my goto, even on the thin sheet.