Author Topic: CamBam plus beta 0.9.8 (test release)  (Read 19122 times)

Offline 10bulls

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
  • Coding Jedi
    • View Profile
    • www.cambam.info
CamBam plus beta 0.9.8 (test release)
« on: July 30, 2010, 19:00:08 pm »
It has taken a while, but the next version of CamBam (0.9.8 ) is now available for testing.

http://www.cambam.co.uk/downloads/dw/CamBamPlus-beta0.9.8d.msi

There have been a lot of changes in this release.  The 'What's New' section of the offline help will detail all that is new and changed.

Version 0.9.8 will install in a new folder, so it is possible to install and run it alongside version 0.9.7.

Please note! 0.9.8 has a new file format.  If you open drawings made in 0.9.7 or earlier, they will be automatically converted to the new format when saved.
Unfortunately there is currently no method to save 0.9.8 version files to older formats, so when using your existing drawings you should back them up first.

This is a 'pre-release' installation and as such does not associate itself with .cb files automatically, so you need to open files using File - Open in  CamBam, or drag and drop files onto the CamBam window.  Double clicking a .cb file in explorer will open that file using current installed 'release' version of CamBam.  This is done so that the pre release version can be installed alongside the current stable release version.

The biggest shake up has been how the template system works.  Templates have been renamed 'CAM Styles' in version 0.9.8 for starters.
The offline documentation contains a section on CAM styles and I will be working to produce some video tutorials featuring them soon.

Once again I am very grateful to all the 'death wish' testers who have tried this release and offered invaluable feedback.

Work on version 0.9.8 is still ongoing.  There are still a number of changes planned and no doubt there will be some fixes needed before this version becomes the next stable release.  Now is a great time to offer any suggestions, bug reports or general comments.

I have started the following thread for any comments regarding 0.9.8
http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1197.0

I hope you enjoy this new release.

Andy Payne [10Bulls]

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 19:03:10 pm by 10bulls »

Offline 10bulls

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
  • Coding Jedi
    • View Profile
    • www.cambam.info
Re: CamBam plus beta 0.9.8 (test release)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 23:09:08 pm »
Here is an updated 0.9.8 version (release E)

http://www.cambam.co.uk/downloads/dw/CamBamPlus-beta0.9.8e.msi

This version contains mostly bug fixes and a few tweaks.
The bottom of the 'What's New' help page contains some notable changes.

One significant change is a new file backup system for CamBam drawings and system libraries.
When writing to these files, CamBam will now first create a backup copy.  These backups are located in the same folder as the original and will have a .b# suffix appended, where # is a backup number.  The number of backup 'versions' to maintain is set in the new system configuration option : FileBackups.

I would like to extend a big thank you to spiked3 for kindly offering his time and code to help refine the new property grid control in this release.  As well as better keyboard support, the grid now supports a little optional extra spiked3 slipped in, which is the ability to enter values as fractions.  For example, if you wish to enter a tool diameter as 1/8", you can now simply enter 1/8.
Awesome!  Thank you very much indeed!
This control has been rewritten from scratch since version 0.9.7 so if there are still any problems or glitches with it, that would be down to me, so please let me know of any problems and I will sort them out.

Another addition in this release that may be of interest to Alibre users is the new Left_Right RotationMode.
If this is set, then the view can be rotated by clicking the right mouse, then the left, then dragging.

Once again I hope you enjoy this release.  0.9.8 is becoming rather well tested and appears to be solving some problems inherent in 0.9.7.  Unless anything major crops up, the next release should hopefully be a potential stable release candidate.

Offline 10bulls

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
  • Coding Jedi
    • View Profile
    • www.cambam.info
New CamBam plus beta 0.9.8 Release F
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 14:22:46 pm »
There is a new release of CamBam 0.9.8 rev F available for download:

http://www.cambam.co.uk/downloads/dw/CamBamPlus-beta0.9.8f.msi

This release includes a number of refinements and bug fixes in light of 0.9.8E testing as well as some new features.

The What's New help page details the changes with this release.

You can now view the 0.9.8 offline help files online here:
http://www.cambam.info/doc/dw/0.9.8

As noted in the What's New section, the location of the post processor definitions has changed from earlier releases.  If you have customised post processors these should be copied into the new system path.

Some highlights in this release:

* Maintaining styles and other libraries should now be easier, with the ability to copy, paste and rename existing libraries from within CamBam, as well as the ability to drag and drop items between libraries.

* Post processors are now managed from within CamBam without the need to edit XML files.

* New resize gui to allow resizing objects to a set size or percent.

* New property grid icon to display whether machining parameters are Default (ie inherited from their style),
an explicit Value, or an Auto calculated value.

* Extra nesting options to further control the layout and machining order.

* New Paste Format (Shift+Ctrl+V) command for machining operations and styles.  This provides an easy way
to copy the properties between machining operations and styles while retaining their original names and source drawing objects.  This should provide a similar functionality to the Copy MOP to Template and Apply Template to MOP commands from 0.9.7.  It can also be used to create styles by copying existing machining operations, then paste format to selected CAM styles.

Last but not least, and with much thanks to the fearless blowlamp and FatFreddie in particular, the lathe machining operation is now getting to the stage where it is producing usable code in Mach3, EMC2 and CutViewer.
The help file now contains a new section for the lathe operation.

Attached is a small lathe test piece I ran.  This was actually turned by placing some delrin stock in a 16mm ER25 collet on my Triac mill and mounting a lathe tool post to the bed.  Blowlamp and FatFreddie have turned some much nicer lathe pieces which hopefully they will share.  :)

I hope you enjoy machining with this release.

EDIT: Any bug reports or comments on 0.9.8 are very gratefully received and all help to make CamBam better than ever.
The forum thread here is a good place to post...
http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1197.0
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 16:11:24 pm by 10bulls »

Offline 10bulls

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
  • Coding Jedi
    • View Profile
    • www.cambam.info
New CamBam plus beta 0.9.8 Release F
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 09:53:48 am »
I have just uploaded another very minor modification to the 0.9.8F installer.

The previous copy was reporting an 'unknown field _Tabs' error when deleting drawing objects linked to profiles.

The very latest build number is shown on the downloads page:
http://www.cambam.info/downloads/

This can be compared to the build number shown in the 'Help - About' dialog from within CamBam.

Offline 10bulls

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
  • Coding Jedi
    • View Profile
    • www.cambam.info
New! CamBam plus 0.9.8 Video
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 22:32:39 pm »
I have just uploaded a tutorial video that covers the new CAM Styles feature of CamBam 0.9.8.

http://www.cambam.info/vids/CAM-Styles/

At > 18 minutes, it is a little long but it does cover a few topics along the way and gives a walk through from drawing to producing gcode.  If I can edit out the pauses for thought and heavy breathing, I may get it down to 15 minutes.  ;D

BUG REPORT - I did uncover a few bugs in the making of this.  The only real significant one is that if you use a tool number within a style that points to a tool with a different profile (ball nose for example), machining operations based on that style don't pick up the tool profile from the tool library.  The work around is to set the tool profile as well as the tool number within the CAM style.  I will make sure this is fixed in the next update.

I hope you enjoy the video and find it useful.  Please let me know if there any problems or questions arising from it. (If I have to listen to it again I am sure I will fall asleep).  Apologies once again, my sound card still seems to be exhibiting the problem that replaces by booming dulcet tones with a watery kermit the frog voice... I must look into that!  :-[

Offline 10bulls

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
  • Coding Jedi
    • View Profile
    • www.cambam.info
New CamBam plus beta 0.9.8 Release G
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 14:26:56 pm »
I have just uploaded a new 0.9.8 G release.

This version mostly includes minor bug fixes that have come to light since the last F release.

Most significantly.

. Fixed style bug where tool profile and radius were not being looked up from the tool library.
. Bug fixes and improvements to experimental toolpath optimiser.
. Auto target depth for engraving changed to be 1 depth increment below stock surface.
. Transform bug fixes for align, move, arc fit and splines

Thank you very much to everyone who has tried 0.9.8 and provided great feedback and suggestions.

If you are yet to try 0.9.8 we would love to hear of your experiences, especially if you encounter any problems or if there are any areas that need improvement.

CamBam 0.9.8 can be installed alongside version 0.9.7 and earlier.  It will be installed in a separate folder and create a new shortcut. 
However the 0.9.8 installer will now associate 0.9.8 with .cb files so double clicking .cb files in explorer will now open them in the new CamBam version.  Reinstalling 0.9.7 will restore this.
Warning!  0.9.7 files opened then saved in 0.9.8 are not backwards compatible with 0.9.7.  A backup of the original file with the name filename.cb.b# is created in the same folder if a file was saved accidentally.

We hope you enjoy working with this new release.

Offline 10bulls

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
  • Coding Jedi
    • View Profile
    • www.cambam.info
New CamBam plus beta 0.9.8 Release H
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 00:23:05 am »
I hope everyone had a restive and festive past few days.

A new 0.9.8 H release is now available for download...

Once again, mostly bugfixes, including the stepover bug as described in this thread.
http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1438.msg7828;topicseen#msg7828

A couple more warnings have been added when refreshing libraries with unsaved changes and when named post processors are not found.

There have also been some extra macros added to the post processor system.  There should no longer be any hard coded g and m codes.  There are also some new register macros such as {$zneg} which outputs the negative value of the Z register, and {$zabs} which will output the absolute Z value.
There are still post processor changes planned in 0.9.9, but hopefully these extra macros should help those users who are customising post processers for a variety of controllers.
It should now be possible to create a post for machines that have inverted Z axis.  If anyone is interested in this please let me know.

More details on the new post processor macros are located in the offline documentation.

Happy machining!

Offline 10bulls

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
  • Coding Jedi
    • View Profile
    • www.cambam.info
New CamBam plus beta 0.9.8 Release I
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 16:17:32 pm »
A new 0.9.8 I release is now available for download...

Mostly bug fixes again, although there were a couple of changes to holding tabs and 3D boundaries.

The CamBam installer has also been changed to prompt whether to set modify permissions on the CamBam system folder for all (authenticated) users.  If these permissions have already been set, or you are comfortable with maintaining windows permissions manually, it is safe to answer 'No' at this prompt.  If you are unsure about permissions, reply 'Yes'.  Granting these permissions will prevent access denied errors when configuration and common library files are saved.

For holding tabs, two new parameters : InnerTabScale and OuterTabScale have been added to the drawing's Machining options.
This will scale the default length of the holding tab... outer is toward the toolpath and inner is away from the toolpath.  The inner tab scale defaults to half the current one.
A more thorough review of holding tabs is planned for 0.9.9 but hopefully this should fix problems such as tabs on thin parts.

Tabs now display a cross if no toolpaths were affected (in corners for example).  This should make it easier to see at a glance where auto tabs need to be repositioned.

There is also a new system configuration option called : HoldingTabDragToolpathRefresh.  This prevents the toolpath recalculating each time the holding tabs are moved, which can be really slow on medium to large toolpaths.  Tabs are then recalculated at the next toolpath regenerate.

Revision I changes

* New Machining.InnerTabScale and OuterTabScale values to adjust lengths of holding tabs.
    * Holding tab now displays a cross if it fails to insert any toolpath holding tabs.
    * Added HoldingTabDragToolpathRefresh config option to prevent slow toolpath recalculations after tab drags.
    * Changed 3D Profile boundary behaviour to machine up to boundary and not expand polyline boundaries.
    * Bug fixed: Experimental optimiser with depth first on profiles with holes was doing level first.
    * Bug fixed: "Unable to create a file that already exists" error when FileBackup=0.
    * Bug fixed: Occasional "Key not in dictionary" errors in toolpath optimiser.
    * Bug fixed: Toolpath to geometry from NCFile op was creating polylines with NaN values.
    * Bug fixed: Polylines with only 2 segments causing offset errors when OffsetBacktrackCheck=True.
    * Bug fixed: Entering 'c' in polyline drawing mode was starting circle draw.
    * Style tool number select now shows tools from tool library set in active part or machining properties.
    * Added a Help - Samples menu option.
    * Tools in libraries can now be reindexed by selecting an existing tool index.
    * Added new RapidDownToClearance option to post processor. Setting False will prevent this rapid.
    * Bug fixes: A number of GDI display mode, drawing and editting problems were fixed.