Author Topic: CamBam plus 0.9.8  (Read 102382 times)

Offline pixelmaker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • pixelmaker
Re: CamBam plus 0.9.8
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2010, 00:35:35 am »
hello Andy,
I use now WinPCNC economy but will change to USBCNC asap.

I use the post processor "default" in 0.97 and 0.98. The MinimumArcLength is 1e-4 in both pp.
There is only one difference between the two pp, that is a variable $k.

thank you

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 01:16:40 am by pixelmaker »

Offline pixelmaker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • pixelmaker
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2010, 12:53:53 pm »
Hello Andy,
so, if I understand the "times ten to the power of"-thing, it means that the MinimumArcLength 1e-4 is 1/10000 of a drawing unit and 1e-3 means than MinimumArcLength is 1/1000 of drawing unit.

For my mill with smallest step from 0,00625 mm and a repeat accuracy from 0,015 mm, I think there is no difference.

I changed now to MinimumArcLength 1e-3 and the "warts" have gone.

remains the thing with cutting the lowest level bevor the first in one of three slots,  for this I can´t find a solution.
It looks like a bug in DepthFirst

Thank you

ralf
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 13:41:46 pm by pixelmaker »

Offline kvom

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 12:35:33 pm »
When I open a DXF in 9.8, the created layer is named "0" and the lines as shown in black, not the normal drawing color (green).  I can create a new layer and copy all the elements, and the color is restored.

Offline 10bulls

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
  • Coding Jedi
    • View Profile
    • www.cambam.info
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 23:55:50 pm »
When I open a DXF in 9.8, the created layer is named "0" and the lines as shown in black, not the normal drawing color (green).  I can create a new layer and copy all the elements, and the color is restored.

I can't seem to replicate this one.  Is it that the dxf file has the layer colour set as black?
It would be a good idea if CamBam detected files where the drawing colour was the same as the background
colour and adjusted it so it is visible.

If the DXF file should have a colour set, then if you can upload a DXF file I will investigate.

Offline kvom

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2010, 00:22:43 am »
The file was generated from DeskEngrave, a program I learned about  on this forum.  It generates text along a curve, something CB cannot do at this point.  I am attaching the file.

Offline GeorgeRace

• Wookie
  • Wobbler Engine
    • View Profile
    • Experimental Aircraft Builders Support
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2010, 01:09:58 am »
Hi Andy:
Help, in production and am having a problem with a file that has worked just great for the past 2 years.
Attached is the .cb file.

First a minor annoyance that just cropped up this afternoon.

Load in the George Race Plate.cb file.  Then select one of the letters in the top line of text.  Press the delete key.  Box opens that says: Delete selected entities.  Now click on OK.  Next an error box opens that says:  Unknown Field/Property: MOPProfile._Tabs     When you acknowledge the error, the box closes and the highlighted text is erased.  Something is strange, but it does delete the object selected just fine.

Now for the real problem that has stopped me in my tracks this afternoon.

Load the George Race Plate.cb file in 9.8d.  Now expand Layer 1.  Click on polyline1.  You will see the portions of the emblem highlighted on the left side that belongs to polyline1.  Now Click on Produce G Code.  Load the produced .tap file into Mach3.  Zoom in to the window and look at the upper left side of the emblem.  The piece that belongs to polyline1 is not there!

This is the master template that I use for my data plate production, I simply change the verbiage at the bottom to reflect the data needed by the user.  Has worked just great for some time.

I even went an extra step and loaded in a couple of previously built files for data plates that have been made and shipped.  Every time I produced the "new" GCode, the emblem in each had the same piece missing on the left side.

Tomorrow morning I will continue with production on some new orders.  I am fortunate that I have a backup computer that is loaded with an earlier version that also has all the data plate information on it as well.  It is my backup production system, and I just did not get around to updating CamBam to the latest version.  Lucky for me huh!

I guess this is why it is called Beta Testing!

Hopefully there is something that I have done incorrectly, but for the life of me I can't seem to find it.

Look forward to hearing back from you soon.

George
Please check out my web site.
http://www.mykitairplane.com
Builder & Test Pilot of N73EX

Offline 10bulls

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
  • Coding Jedi
    • View Profile
    • www.cambam.info
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2010, 08:21:45 am »
The file was generated from DeskEngrave, a program I learned about  on this forum.  It generates text along a curve, something CB cannot do at this point.  I am attaching the file.

Thanks for that... the layer is indeed set to black.  I will put the layer color = background color check on the todo list.

You may also be interested in the fantastic Arc Text plugin that Hans_G created...
http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=348.0
(look toward the end of the thread to find the latest version)

Offline 10bulls

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
  • Coding Jedi
    • View Profile
    • www.cambam.info
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2010, 09:16:40 am »
Hello George

Unknown Field/Property: MOPProfile._Tabs     When you acknowledge the error, the box closes and the highlighted text is erased.  Something is strange, but it does delete the object selected just fine.

This one is fixed now in the development version.

Now for the real problem that has stopped me in my tracks this afternoon.
The piece that belongs to polyline1 is not there!

Sorry about that...I will investigate to see what's going on.

In the mean time, I think it is easy to fix. In your profiles you have a tool diameter of 0.0001 set.
From memory, I think you said you were doing this to trick the profile into a doing a multi-depth level engraving operation (which 0.9.7 didn't do).

If you change the tool diameter to 0, this should have the same effect and seems to work OK. 

This should also be a lot faster and more reliable as CamBam is not trying to do an offset of 0.00005 which is getting very close to the math's tolerance limits... (which I think is what is causing the disappearing toolpath problem).

In 0.9.8 there is now also the option to do incremental depth engraving operations, however I just noticed that the engraving mop does not have a CutOrdering option to set DepthFirst, so the toolpath is not that efficient.
I have just added this which will be in the next release.

I hope that helps!

Offline GeorgeRace

• Wookie
  • Wobbler Engine
    • View Profile
    • Experimental Aircraft Builders Support
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2010, 12:00:40 pm »
Hi Andy:

As always, you have a solution to my situation!

Yes, using the profile MOP's really makes a nice looking "engraved" data plate.  When I use the engrave MOP I just can't seem to get the same results, and that seems strange to me.  Maybe as long as you have the file, you can tweak it a bit and make it work equally well using the engrave MOP's.  This plate takes about 40 minutes to make, due to the fact that each letter is done inside and out causing a double cut over the same path.  Maybe that is why it looks so good!  Kind of polishes the path the second time over in the opposite direction.  Incidentally I am using a 1/64 inch ball end mill to do the "engraving".

Making the tool diameter "0" brought back the tool path!  As usual you are FANTASTIC! ! !

In 9.7 the GCode was 11,931 lines in size, in 9.8 it is now 12409 lines.  Will give it a go this morning and see how it work out.

This is what BETA testing is all about!

Thanks, heading for the shop to make more scrap out of perfectly good metal!

George
Please check out my web site.
http://www.mykitairplane.com
Builder & Test Pilot of N73EX

Offline kvom

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2010, 21:34:45 pm »
Are you saying that a profile MOP with a tool diameter of 0 is equivalent to an engraving MOP, but "better"?

Offline pixelmaker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • pixelmaker
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2010, 00:20:30 am »
I created a new style library.
I created a new cam-style in it, named test.
I chosse a tool from the tool library an give in some values like target depth -10mm and depth increment 1mm.
From context menue I choose save to xml.
On the CAM Styles Folder with context menue I chosse refresh.
I draw a circle and chose a profile mop.

If I try to choose the "test-CAM-Style" CB tells me: "test not found"
If I choose then an other CAM-Style from the Standard-mm I don´t get the values from the template to the mop.
Then I deletet the CAM-Style "test" with context menue.

CB freezes. Nothing goes on
I close CamBam with ctrl+alt+del. 

After this I can´t restart CB.

I try delete the library "template.xml". At first windows tells me that some program use this file and I can´t delete it. After windows restart I can delete it and then CB works ok.

And some questions:

I try to understand how this CAM-Styles are working and how the styles interact with the other librarys like material and tools.
Perhaps it is possible that you can explain this when you have some minutes.
However, when creating new librarys or deleting CB reacts a bit huffy.

I found a speed and feed calculator. The calculator gets some values from the tool library, but not all, not the number of flutes, and not tooth load.

And what means "Add to active palette" when right klick a tool?

So many questions

ralf

Offline dwc

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • corson.ch
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2010, 06:02:37 am »
Hi Andy,
I have been using 0.9.8 now for a while and am starting to understand some things.
Really only 2 things are bothering me right now:
1) when I apply a style to a MOP I have to leave the MOP and return for the inherited values to be shown correctly, it should happen immediately.
2) How about putting the CamBam version in the nc file header along with the date/time in international format, i.e. year.month.date-hours:minutes:seconds.  Then everyone will be equally happy or unhappy.

I tried to see how the feed calculator ties in to the styles yesterday, but then couldn't find it at all, although I know it has popped up at times.  Where have you hidden it? and can it automatically insert feeds if the material info, spindle speed and tool dia are known?

Keep up the great work!
Don

Offline Bench_Top_Precision

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2010, 16:32:48 pm »
I think I may have found a bug in V0.9.8

I'm cutting a profile with holding tabs out of a piece of stock. The bug I think I came across is that once you select to use holding tabs for a profile MOP and then want to select more geometry for another MOP it thinks you are trying to drag the holding tabs every time you click and effectively setting your "Auto" to "Manual."

I even tried to disable the MOP and it still does it. Nothing major I just set the holding tabs for that particular MOP to "None," select what I need to and then re-enable the tabs to "Auto" or "Manual."

~Scott

Offline pixelmaker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • pixelmaker
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2010, 20:19:07 pm »
If you have any property set to auto and then you insert a value, it switch the setting from automatic to manual.
That is not a bug, cause you set a value manual and so it has to change the property from auto to manual.

The thame thing with the tabs. If you generate tabs, you generate a tab-collection, it is like a point list.
It is a list with the coordinates of the tab. You can open the collection bei clicking the [...]-Button.
So, if you change a tab bei clicking on it, you change only the coordinates in the tab-collection and it is a manual action. So CB change the property to manual. You can change the coordinates of the tab also in the tab-collection.

ralf

Offline EAC

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
    • Eureka Airctraft
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2010, 21:58:34 pm »
Found another problem with 0.9.8...

The Tab Height is measuring from the wrong place.  It should, as it did in .9.7, measure the height from the Target Depth, so you get an accurate height of the tab.  It now measures the Tab Height from the clearance height.

Don