Author Topic: 1st CamBam Project  (Read 6372 times)

Offline Doanwannapickle

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
1st CamBam Project
« on: June 01, 2007, 20:02:04 pm »
Well, I just knocked out my first piece with CamBam.  I love this program.
The body is Torlon and the white insert is ceramic.  To give it some scale, the ceramic is about 1/8 in. (3mm).
It's a soldering/welding fixture.  The second shot shows it with a part loaded.

http://www.chicobritish.org/Misc/CamBam/1.JPG
http://www.chicobritish.org/Misc/CamBam/2.JPG

This was also my first foray into using fixture and tool offsets.  Takes a bunch of effort getting it all sorted out but it should have a big payback in the long run.

Regards,
Walt

Offline 10bulls

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
  • Coding Jedi
    • View Profile
    • www.cambam.info
Re: 1st CamBam Project
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 14:38:19 pm »
Well, I just knocked out my first piece with CamBam.  I love this program.
Yay!
The body is Torlon and the white insert is ceramic.  To give it some scale, the ceramic is about 1/8 in. (3mm).
It's a soldering/welding fixture.  The second shot shows it with a part loaded.
That is a fantastic idea walt.  Many's the time I've tried to hold soldering iron, solder, connector and wire without singing (sp?) anything sensitive.

I'd kind of forgotten about machineable ceramic.  I remember reading it in farnell catalogues but must have filed it away under "...stuff I'll never need to buy."  That would be absolutely perfect for a little project i'm planning.  Thanks for the reminder!.
This was also my first foray into using fixture and tool offsets.  Takes a bunch of effort getting it all sorted out but it should have a big payback in the long run.
Is this something you've set up in your processor software (Mach etc)?.

Thank you for being the first person (other than me) to post up a user project.  I get a lot of emails from people making weird and wonderful things with CamBam that never cease to surprise me.  It would be great to see some of them appearing here. ;D

Offline Doanwannapickle

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: 1st CamBam Project
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 17:18:37 pm »
That is a fantastic idea walt.  Many's the time I've tried to hold soldering iron, solder, connector and wire without singing (sp?) anything sensitive.

I'd kind of forgotten about machineable ceramic.  I remember reading it in farnell catalogues but must have filed it away under "...stuff I'll never need to buy."  That would be absolutely perfect for a little project i'm planning.  Thanks for the reminder!.

Both Torlon and machinable ceramic are a bit pricey.  This fixture is used in an induction machine so it's necessary.  When I need to do any soldering for myself I just what any toolmaker would do - put it in a vise.  :-\  Needless to say, my soldering is functional but not very pretty.

I've always intended to get one of those third hand gadgets that have arms with alligator clips and a magnifier.   Just never happened so I keep putting it in a vise.

Is this something you've set up in your processor software (Mach etc)?.

Yes, Mach3 has provisions for both tool offsets and fixture offsets.  They take a bit of discipline and effort on the front end (the main reason I haven't attempted it until now) but the payback is terrific once the system is established.  Look for fixtures and tool table.  In the older Mach's, they were located in Operator, now they are under Config.

Thank you for being the first person (other than me) to post up a user project.  I get a lot of emails from people making weird and wonderful things with CamBam that never cease to surprise me.  It would be great to see some of them appearing here. Grin

I can't help but believe more stuff will appear as word gets out.  Once a few more of the rough edges are off the program I think it will become quite popular.
Just to throw in my 2 pence, (do you still use pence?) I think you should go the LazyCam route and come out with a free version and a pro version.

Time to put some drywall on the ceiling of the laundry room.

As usual,
Walt