Author Topic: Please Test My Stick Fonts and Let Me Know If They Work For You  (Read 82074 times)

Offline GeorgeRace

• Wookie
  • Wobbler Engine
    • View Profile
    • Experimental Aircraft Builders Support
Re: Please Test My Stick Fonts and Let Me Know If They Work For You
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2011, 20:54:09 pm »
Please be my guest and do what ever you need to make it work for you,
George
Please check out my web site.
http://www.mykitairplane.com
Builder & Test Pilot of N73EX

Offline kennyd

• Ewok
  • CNC Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2011, 00:39:54 am »
Very cool George, thanks for posting ;D
Check out some of my other projects at https://picasaweb.google.com/113966569709555812037

And my John Deere Tractor forum at www.deeretalk.com

Offline Dragonfly

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2011, 14:50:41 pm »
George, I've added Cyrillic letters and some of the punctuation marks to the font. Also Windows Cyrillic1251 code page to the font table. Did some curve cleaning too, hope for the better.
Tried the Cyrillic letters and the numbers on a product plate example. Worked OK. Didn't try all the punctuation marks though.
In CorelDraw I set a 0.5 mm outline (same as the tool tip) with rounded ends for the text to simulate real output and there's a very good match.
Here's the modified font with s "C" (for Cyrillic) suffix to its name

Offline GeorgeRace

• Wookie
  • Wobbler Engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2011, 17:37:05 pm »
Please spread the word about your very useful addition to the font file.  

I changed the internal file name to reflect the "0C" name change.  You can now install the .ttf file in your windows font directory and it will not write over my original file.  The new installed file will have the new name.

The .zip file I have attached has the name change in the font .ttf file.

Thanks for the nice job,
George
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 17:45:10 pm by GeorgeRace »

Offline kevwubs

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 29, 2012, 22:59:17 pm »
Hi George, we have a process where we have the information in MS Excel to make an engraving on a plate, and it can export it to a *.cb file (xml code) that can be put to Cam Bam. Now, in Excel, we have a preview of how the plate will look. However, we are struggling with making the Excel font the correct size and spacing such that it will take up the amount of space as in real life and not run off of the field area it is supposed to be in. I have also done the preview in Word, so that your font (1CamBam_Stick_3) can have the size, spacing, kerning, scale, etc adjusted. So, do you have any suggestions on what the said settings should be, or any other way to preview the font correctly in an Office setting?

Thanks,
Kevin Wubs
Engineer at Magnum Trailer & Equipment
Abbotsford, BC

Offline Dragonfly

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2012, 23:34:08 pm »
I may be wrong but IMHO Excel (and MS Office as a whole) is the least suitable program for making such projects. Engraving is not like mail merging a table and printing to a printer.
The stick fonts are difficult for the windows engine to display them by itself because they are very thin.
In my experience I use CorelDraw and set no fill for the font, then set an outline equal to my tool diameter and get an almost real representation of the texts as they will be engraved.

Also I didn't know CB can read geometry from XML format. Will check tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 23:37:22 pm by Dragonfly »

Offline metalships

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2012, 03:20:47 am »
OK, I am probably doing something dumb but . . . when I try to drop the fonts into my Fonts folder, Windows ask permission, I grant said permission, and then . . . nothing.  They never appear in the folder.

What am I missing?

Offline 10bulls

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
  • Coding Jedi
    • View Profile
    • www.cambam.info
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2012, 09:58:20 am »
OK, I am probably doing something dumb but . . . when I try to drop the fonts into my Fonts folder, Windows ask permission, I grant said permission, and then . . . nothing.  They never appear in the folder.

What am I missing?
Try this one...

Go to the folder where your new fonts currently are (ie, NOT the Windows - Font folder), right click in Windows Explorer, then select 'Install' from the context menu.

Offline GeorgeRace

• Wookie
  • Wobbler Engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2012, 11:56:56 am »

What am I missing?

Are you dropping the whole "zip" file into the fonts folder, or have you unzipped them and are dropping them in as individual files?   Any .ttf file should be immediately installed in the fonts sub-directory.

Offline kevwubs

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2012, 16:18:08 pm »
Thanks for your input dragonfly, but the reason that we use Office is for the VBA coding abilities. It grabs the information from the "data" sheet, and makes the code for engraving which is very exact. The issue is that only the bottom right point or something similar can be specified, so we cannot see the actual width. Does CoralDraw have any coding abilities to your knowledge?

Btw, some info for the xml code for CB is here...http://www.cambam.info/doc/0.9.7/cam/CAMTemplates.aspx

Kevin

Offline metalships

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2012, 16:53:29 pm »

What am I missing?

Are you dropping the whole "zip" file into the fonts folder, or have you unzipped them and are dropping them in as individual files?   Any .ttf file should be immediately installed in the fonts sub-directory.

Thanks for the feedback.  I will try (both) when I get home tonight!

Offline Dragonfly

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2012, 20:28:22 pm »
Hi kevwubs
CorelDraw also has VBA macro capabilities but I myself have not done much with data merging. Only placing different name and title for about a hundred of people on a corporate business card template and arranging them on a print sheet according to the ordered amount for each card. I've been thinking about trying to write macros to produce G-code directly but never got to the job yet. Maybe because I can export the artwork directly to DXF format which is compatible with CamBam. In a program like CorelDraw you have complete control over fonts, sizes and formatting.
I am afraid I am not able to understand exactly what you intend to do. While CB own format is XML based as far as I know, it means you have to write a complete VBA code to export from Office to native CB XML - with font conversion to curves, etc. The link you provided is about the previous version 0.9.7 where there were templates, while 0.9.8 introduced Styles which work similar but have larger scope. Still I can't imagine how you intend to use them as CB needs the geometry objects to which a given style can be applied.

If your data is not sensitive and if you could give some particular example for the desired plates, maybe we together would be able to solve the problem.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 20:30:42 pm by Dragonfly »

Offline metalships

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2012, 23:39:37 pm »

What am I missing?
Try this one...

Go to the folder where your new fonts currently are (ie, NOT the Windows - Font folder), right click in Windows Explorer, then select 'Install' from the context menu.

This worked!  Thanks!  These look great.

Offline Mikec

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2012, 22:27:18 pm »
Hi George,

Pleased to say your stick fonts worked well for me. Thank you for your efforts and for sharing the results with us.

Cheers,   Mike

Offline shorton

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2013, 21:43:55 pm »
OK, so I just used a trick I've used before on your fonts. I used "remove overlaps" on them. A quick look at the G code file and it seems to not be going over them twice.

It would be really sweet if someone wrote a script to automate that.

Highlight text
convert to polylines
Make a new layer and make it active
remove overlaps
delete text on original layer (or just delete original layer maybe)

Then you could just type away and run the script and have a single pass stick font.

These fonts ARE pretty neat.

I'm using 9.7 still.
Hi guys...

I need to have some single pass cuts, I'm making some engravings in small fonts in foam.  The second pass tends to knock out the details.  Look perfect until the second pass.

I tried the procedure above.  the result is a bunch of polylines, but it appears there are still duplicates of each.  Is that right?  The resulting toolpaths don't appear contiguous in a letter.