Author Topic: CamBam 0.9.8 ready for 'latest stable release'  (Read 10507 times)

Offline 10bulls

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
  • Coding Jedi
    • View Profile
    • www.cambam.info
CamBam 0.9.8 ready for 'latest stable release'
« on: March 17, 2011, 18:51:26 pm »
I am planning on making the latest 0.9.8i release the latest stable release within the next day or two.

There are still some outstanding issues that need to be resolved but the plan is to release a new '0.9.8j' release soon after, which will incorporate these changes and undergo another public testing period.
None of the outstanding 0.9.8 issues appear to be major and will be resolved as soon as possible.

0.9.8 fixes a number of bugs and (I believe) is easier, faster and more reliable to use than the current 0.9.7 'stable' release.  It would also be preferable for new users to get used to the new 0.9.8 styles of working. 

However there have been many significant changes in 0.9.8 including a new CamBam file format that is not compatible with 0.9.7 and earlier releases.  Hence we have been a little cautious with 0.9.8 which has enjoyed a rather prolonged public testing period.

The list of new features and changes in 0.9.8 is available here:
http://www.cambam.info/doc/dw/0.9.8/WhatsNew.htm

This announcement is a bit of a heads up that the change to the new stable release is imminent.  If you have not tried the new release, now might be a good time.
0.9.7 will still be available for a good while yet and 0.9.8 can be installed and used in parallel on the same PC without affecting each other.

If anyone has any serious issues with 0.9.8 that is preventing moving to it from 0.9.7 then we would love to hear about it.

I would also like to offer a huge thank you to the growing CamBam community that have provided fantastic feedback, inspiration and support throughout the development and testing of this latest version as well as making the CamBam user forum a welcoming and helpful environment for users of all abilities.

Regards

Andy Payne

Offline dwc

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • corson.ch
Re: CamBam 0.9.8 ready for 'latest stable release'
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 09:13:01 am »
Hi Andy,
This does not stop me from using 9.8, but it is very annoying.
A multiline custom drill script can only be edited in a MOP and not in a style.
I have added what I need to the xml file, but if I try to edit in the style the editing window comes up empty and clears the existing script.
If I don't try to edit in the style it is inserted in the MOP as it should and can be edited in the MOP OK.
Using 9.8i
Don

Offline pixelmaker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • pixelmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 22:42:10 pm »
Hello Andy,

on top of my wishlist for further versions is: jumping with the tab key to the next value. ::)

ralf

Offline Eqalizr

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 23:46:59 pm »
Hello Andy
I am new to the CamBam forum, but have been starting to use the free CamBam for serval months. I have been utilizing the feature to add code to the G-code using the MOPHeader andMOPFooter. In the free version it works as advertized. This past week I tried the new version 0.9.8 using the same feature and the results were that the code in the MOPHeader was generated twice. I then tried the previous version 0.9.7 and the results were the same. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Carl

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 00:21:49 am »
I cannot explain why it's twice on your setup, but when I enter MOp header info in my 9.8i, it works only once.

LLoyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

Offline Eqalizr

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 00:41:54 am »
Lloyd,
 Thanks for your response, the MOPHeader is OK, the only thing I can think of that may have caused the problem on my system was that I copied the MOPHeader code twice and pasted it in the editor. There is no problem with the MOPHeader code.
Thanks
Carl

Offline octavio

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 12:00:40 pm »

on top of my wishlist for further versions is: jumping with the tab key to the next value. ::)

Me too

just an CNC'd Proxxon MF70 to play with
Spanish forum of HSM afficionados