Author Topic: "Edit->Substract" behaviour changed between [0.9] Rel 8L and Rel 8M beta 3  (Read 3329 times)

Offline amalas

• Ewok
    • View Profile
Hello there, great CamBam coders,

(awesome work so far, keep on going! But...)

I'm regularly using CamBam for 2.5D "CAD" works and I was frequently using the "Edit->Substract" funcionality for a quite special purpose... My CNC mill has drilled holding holes in which the material is fixed with screws. Of course these holes are set in a measured manner.
So when I needed to calculate the "free" holding screw points in the material, I've put a grid of regular Polylines in the right distances "above" the placed-to-cut pieces, Offsetted the pieces by a desired offset onto a new layer and Unioned the offsets (where then I had the covered space with some safety gaps). Then I copied the grid- and the offset-layer and Break-At-Intersection'ed these to layers.

Until the new 8M beta 3 I could THEN use the broken grid lines to Substract the (broken) lines from the still intact original offset of the pieces (which I converted to a Region before the substract, if necessary) and all that remained were the gridlines outside the offset. That worked super special pricelessly great for me!
In final, I could simply use "Edit->Intersection Points" on the remaining Polyline-Grid-Pieces (on a new layer, of course) and had all the "free" spots for holding screws.

So, now I have installed the new Rel 8M beta 3 (which beside that works fine for me) and the Substract simply doesn't substract anymore. (Yes, it does on closed objects, I know. But I was SO glad for this special case for it to work on broken Polylines, too!)

I know, it's just a beta, but could you pretty PLEASE restore that former behaviour?

(Or, if anyone has some better way to achieve the described result, I'd be glad as well!)

Thank you very, very much in advance, hugs + kisses are promised, I swear ;)
Sincerely,
   amalas

Offline amalas

• Ewok
    • View Profile
Allrighty, for now I found some way to achieve my goal through "Draw->Fill Region->Horizontal Hatch" and "...->Vertical Hatch".

I don't like it so much though, because I cannot really adjust the grid in advance. Yet it works and for now I'm contented with that.

Thanks for listening :)

Offline 10bulls

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
  • Coding Jedi
    • View Profile
    • www.cambam.info
The subtract behaviour did indeed change in 0.9.8M including not subtracting open lines.

I'll investigate putting this back in, but...

I am not 100% sure what you are trying to do, but would the Trim operation not do the same thing for you?
(Selecting (I)nside trim?)

Offline amalas

• Ewok
    • View Profile

Hello 10bulls and thank you VERY much for -well- "listening" at all!

what I am trying is to get the rest of a grid -erm- between a specified (rectangular) shape and some -well- whatever shaped -err- shape (and leaving the "shape" free of the grid). *cough*. (I might be able to clearify through some screenshots, which -for now- I didn't consider necessary.)

like I said in the very first post... anyone show me some -let's say- easier way to achieve my goal, I'll take it. You mention some "inside trim". whereas I can say: Guy, I been using CamBam for about a year now. regarding my problem: WHAT are you talking about? did I simply miss the point? or did you get my intention wrong? But anyways, I'd try, if I just FOUND what you ment. let's just say: "WHAT?"

I'm still quite helpless. I'm currently using some even more pain-in-the-ass workaround.

and thank you SOOOOO much for your "investigation on putting back" :)
some kisses in advance! ;)

(you might fasten my work by improving the "substract open lines" by "substract open lines that are not broken yet" - just a thought, no wish, though! but it never came clear to me, why that didn't work. WELL... sure I'm just one of those stupid idiots hanging around and asking for features. I'd help. if I could. Maybe had some time for a PM, 10bulls? (NO, I will not start that, you're the one cut short on time!))

Sincerely,
  amalas