Author Topic: Cutviewer "System cannot find find the specified file"  (Read 14157 times)

Offline Fritz

• Ewok
    • View Profile
Cutviewer "System cannot find find the specified file"
« on: October 18, 2013, 17:43:40 pm »
I've got CutViewer (demo) installed and it works as a stand alone.

I have a .CB file loaded, I generate a tool path and produce the gcode but when I click "Tools > Simulate with CutViewer" I get a "System cannot find find the specified file" message.

CB and CV are both installed on the E: drive but there's also a "CamBam plus 0.9.8" folder on my C: drive, it only has one file in it "CBSetup.InstallState".

Post Processor is Mach3-CutViewer.

Any ideas on what I need to do would be appreciated.

Thanks
Fritz

Offline gpw

• Wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Cutviewer "System cannot find find the specified file"
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 19:09:35 pm »
Here are some suggestions that "10Bulls" sent to me recently regarding a similar situation.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Make sure your CamBam drawing is saved first (this helps the gcode generation suggest the same folder to store the gcode output).
2. Click on the 'Machining' object on the drawing tree.
2. Look for the 'Out File' property and delete anything here.
3. Right click the Machining object and select 'Produce gcode'.  You should then be prompted for the location of the gcode output.
4. Now use Tools - Simulate with CutViewer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I ended up just closing both applications down and opening them again and my issue cleared up.

Offline dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam French Doc
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 22:11:16 pm »
hello,

CV find the Gcode file only if the Gcode is created for the full project ; don't generate the Gcode for just a MOP or a part.

++
David

http://www.atelier-des-fougeres.fr/Cambam/Aide/Video/Simu_CV.html

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 22:17:11 pm »
CV find the Gcode file only if the Gcode is created for the full project ; don't generate the Gcode for just a MOP or a part.
---------
Nooo... I generate g-code for only one part, or even just one or two selected MOps within a part every day.  CV finds and presents them just fine, if the paths are good.

I must ask what causes you to think that, David. ???

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

Offline dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam French Doc
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 22:27:47 pm »
Hello Lloyd,

Yes but you must change manually the path in the Part ?

and I don't understand how you do for a single (or multi) mop ... there is no way to change the Gcode name (except when "Save as ...")

If I've a file named MyFile.cb, when in generate the Gcode for the full project, I get a file called MyFile.nc, If I generate the Gcode for the part1, I get a file called MyFile.Part1.nc, or If I generate for a MOP in part1 I get MyFile.Part1[mop_name].nc ... and CutViewer always search for MyFile.nc

++
David

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 22:34:08 pm »
Yes but you must change manually the path in the Part ?
No, never.  I _never_ set up the path in the parts, only in the "Machining" tab, once only per project (IF I don't use a template with that already set).

Your problem here is that you ARE setting up the Outfile name in the parts.  Try only in machining.

I get the same name for the .nc file as the CB filename, except for the .nc filetype, regardless of if I generate for the whole project, one part, or one MOp in a part.

Every time...

As a convenience, I add a post-build command to call my favorite text editor to open the g-code upon generation.  Then, if I wish to do so, I can save the g-code under a different name, or just exit the editor.  It gives me a quick visual check, too, that the code is what I wanted.

Lloyd
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 22:36:30 pm by lloydsp »

Offline dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam French Doc
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 22:54:06 pm »
Re

Maybe it's too late and it's time to go bed .... I don't understand how you do.

- I've no path in the Parts (the cell is empty)

- If I replace the {$cbfile.name}.nc in the Machining folder by a complete path, that change nothing ;

- when I generate Gcode for a part or a mop, each time CB ask for a file name, and I must give the same name as the file cb file to obtain that CV run it automatically. (a name like MyFile.Part1[mop_name].nc is proposed each time)

??? ??? ???

++
David

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 23:04:28 pm »
David,
All I _ever_ use is {$cbfile.name}.nc in the Machining tab, and make sure the parts Outfile cell is empty.

That's all.  It works every time -- many times a day... (many, I do lots of one-off small parts taking only minutes to mill, instead of the 18-hour runs you guys do! <G>)

Also, in the Sytem/Configuration tab, I have this Cambam path: "{$common}\CamBam plus 0.9.8\", but I do not think that causes what you see, no matter what that path.

Are you running under Windows or Linux?  Maybe that is the difference, and it should not be.

Lloyd
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 23:06:01 pm by lloydsp »

Offline dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam French Doc
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 23:14:41 pm »
I get the same name for the .nc file as the CB filename, except for the .nc filetype, regardless of if I generate for the whole project, one part, or one MOp in a part.

Not sure that we talk about the same thing  ???

If I well understand what you say, you get a different filename if you generate the Gcode for the whole project or a part or a mop, as me ?

ex: my CB file is named toto.cb

If I generate the code for the whole project, the Gcode name is : toto.nc
If I generate the code for Part1, the Gcode name is: toto.part1.nc ; not the same name as the CB file and CV don't found it (but of course you can open it from CV, but not by using the cambam menu)

++
David

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 23:17:47 pm »
No, David.
If my CB file is named "toto.cb", then EVERY time I generate g-code - for one part, one MOp, or the whole project - I get "toto.nc" in the cbfile's folder.

I do NOT get these odd names like "toto.part1.nc".  Not ever.  I never have in the whole time I've been using CB.

Lloyd

Offline dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam French Doc
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 23:31:10 pm »
Ah !!! very strange ; how you do that ???

Nooo... I generate g-code for only one part, or even just one or two selected MOps within a part every day.  CV finds and presents them just fine, if the paths are good.

Another mystery ; if I select 2 ou 3 mop then if I use the mop context menu to generate the Gcode, I get only the Gcode of the mop under the mouse when I open the menu.  :o

++
David

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 23:41:52 pm »
Ahah!  I never use the MOp context menu for generating g-code.  For me, it's more convenient to just do ctl-W.

I just tried it, and I, too, get the composite names you do.

Lloyd

Offline Fritz

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 00:12:00 am »
Here are some suggestions that "10Bulls" sent to me recently regarding a similar situation.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Make sure your CamBam drawing is saved first (this helps the gcode generation suggest the same folder to store the gcode output).
2. Click on the 'Machining' object on the drawing tree.
2. Look for the 'Out File' property and delete anything here.
3. Right click the Machining object and select 'Produce gcode'.  You should then be prompted for the location of the gcode output.
4. Now use Tools - Simulate with CutViewer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I ended up just closing both applications down and opening them again and my issue cleared up.

I gave that a try, no luck... I don't think it's a problem with CV finding the gcode, I think CB can't find CV. ...like there's a path problem somewhere.

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 00:40:30 am »
Where is your Cutviewer installed?  Mine finds it at "C:\Program Files\CutViewer Mill"
Perhaps CB expects in on C?  Or perhaps it's just expects the \Program Files\CutViewer Mill  part?

Lloyd

« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 00:45:32 am by lloydsp »

Offline Fritz

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 00:56:32 am »
Everything's on the E: drive. I suspect that might be the problem. I've looked through every file I could open trying to find a hard path but ...nothing.