Author Topic: cutviewer  (Read 19157 times)

Offline kjlpdx

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
cutviewer
« on: January 08, 2014, 03:20:16 am »
what is the deal with cutviewer?  it cost as much as cambam and doesn't work correctly.  the zoom feature is just flat out buggy.  it jumps around, rotates the piece, and is totally annoying.  I also get many incorrect rapids collision warnings and incorrect depths when I run it.  I'd like my money back.  I think cambam should be embarrassed to be associated with such poorly written software.

Offline coolant slinger

• Wookie
    • View Profile
Re: cutviewer
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 23:33:16 pm »
I Would Get In Touch with Stan At Tech Suppot With Cutviewer Issues. He Has Helped Me Before.  In The Mean Time Let Us All Know When You Can Find A Simulator Better And Comparable In Price.If So You Probably Would Have purchsed it.

Online Bob La Londe

• CNC Jedi
  • ^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.
    • View Profile
    • CNC Molds N Stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 00:04:05 am »
I have to be honest.  I tested CutViewer and decided not to buy it.  I downloaded it at a time when I had a couple days to play with it, and I spent a couple days playing with it.  It will handle simple jobs just fine, but any of the complex 3D jobs I tested it with just caused it to crash.  I didn't even hit it with any of my really big jobs.  I tested it with jobs that will cut in under 4 hours.  Every one I used to test it was one I had already actually cut successfully.  I just regened the code using the CV post. 

I liked the high resolution rendering, but it failed to complete the jobs.  Even single tool jobs. 

CamBam actually works.  It doesn't use real solid geometry, but it does work.  I really don't think CutViewer works fully.  If they come out with a new release I will try it again, but I spent two full days (plus some time on the next couple days) putting it through its paces, and for me its not worth it yet. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com

Offline kjlpdx

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 01:55:07 am »
I was once a computer programmer for McDonnell-douglas.  the idea of releasing software that didn't work was inconceivable.  well, any place I worked we wouldn't release buggy software.  just try to zoom or create cross sections and you find errors.  not to mention the scroll wheel doesn't work for zooming.  CAMBAM works fine for me.  I expect the same from cutviewer.  I doubt I can get my money back, but I can warn future buyers to be disappointed and irritated by this pkg.
I build and fly experimental aircraft.  I had a fuel flow meter in my plane at one time.  after much playing around I realized that I didn't trust this device, I was constantly trying to calibrate it, and removed it.  this is how I feel about cutviewer now.  I run it, but I don't trust what it says.  at least with cutviewer my life isn't on the line.  my guess is that someone wrote some code, sold a few copies, and now a spouse or grandchild or whoever is trying to milk it for all it's worth.  I appreciate the effort that is put into CAMBAM.  it is a real product.

Online Bob La Londe

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • CNC Molds N Stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 02:50:05 am »
Don't get me started on McDonald Douglas. 

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 11:26:36 am »
this is how I feel about cutviewer now.  I run it, but I don't trust what it says.
----------
Oh, but you SHOULD!  Remember the IFR mantra, "Always believe your worst instrument!"

<G>

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

Online Bob La Londe

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • CNC Molds N Stuff
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 15:15:12 pm »
I Follow Roads ? 

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 16:33:31 pm »
Heh!  Yeah!

I did all the hood time, all the 'actual' time, and sat for (and passed) the written, but I refused to take the check ride for the endorsement.

I was flying at the time "in the pursuit of business", and had a boss who'd have forced me to fly in actual IFR conditions, if I had possessed the endorsement; so I prepared myself in the case I should ever be caught in 'conditions', but just never got the ticket.

It paid off - in both counts - because I did get caught a couple of times, and because I never had to intentionally go out in the soup.

Lloyd

Offline kjlpdx

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 18:06:33 pm »
I am a VFR-only pilot of 15 years, 2000 hrs.  another RV pilot at my airport flies for Horizon airlines.  he says it takes a commercial-sized jet to carry all the equipment needed for safe IFR flight.  the more I fly the more I appreciate what he says. 

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 18:38:46 pm »
Yep.  Familiarity with the airframe helps a lot, too.

I had about 600+ hours in a Cherokee Archer - one tail number.  So I knew every squeak and rattle in the bird.

One moonless, overcast night, I took off from a small private strip just south of Daytona Beach.  There was NO horizon reference, because I couldn't even see the treeline!  I couldn't see anything!

Then... the fun began -- It was a short, un-lit field, and just after rotation I had a generalized failure of all my pitot-static instruments!  Rate-of-climb/descent jumped up suddenly to around +1500 and stuck there (impossible in that model!)

If I hadn't known exactly how that aircraft felt and sounded during a proper ascent, I'd have probably buried it.

As it was, I finally got high enough to see the beacon and lights at Daytona, and jogged over there to put her down again by eye.  Whew!

I always do a careful pre-flight (been accused of doing a 100-hour inspection!), but a small wasp had burrowed up into the static hole in the horn, and build a mud nest up inside.... (urk!)

LLoyd

Offline kvom

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 13:14:11 pm »
As long as we're sharing private pilot stories, I'll chime in.  I was already a college grad when I got out of the Army in 1973, so used my GI Bill for flying lessons in south Florida.  I had gotten the private ticket while still in the service.  Did the commercial, IFR, multi, and started the instructor.  In those days Ft. Lauderdale wasn't very busy so you could practice IFR approaches there.

I used the hours for commercial to fly on vacations and for work.  The only actual IFR flight I had was coming back from Orlando, when I declared IFR-enroute.

My favorite airtime was flying at night between Tampa and Miami, with all the coast lit up in front of me.

Moved to Canada in 77 and never flew again.

Online Garyhlucas

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 19:21:12 pm »
They don't have airplanes in Canada Eh?
Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 19:27:44 pm »
Heh!  I'll let him say it, but depending upon the reason you went to Canada in the 70's, it might be hard to get re-licensed on that side of the line. <G>

LLoyd

Online Bob La Londe

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • CNC Molds N Stuff
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 05:03:12 am »
1977 would be a bit late for that. 

Offline kvom

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 11:15:10 am »
Since it was after my army service I wasn't avoiding the draft.   ::)  But I would have had to relicense and I had no need to fly for work (other than Air Canada)