Author Topic: A quick solution to cuts the width of the cutter diameter  (Read 2703 times)

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
A quick solution to cuts the width of the cutter diameter
« on: March 09, 2014, 17:07:05 pm »
I occasionally have to re-visit this issue when I'm trying to conserve material, because the raw stock is BARELY big enough to handle multiple pieces.  When that happens, I try to make part lines between them the same width as the cutter diameter.

Most of you experienced users know this trick, but it might be useful for beginners, or anyone else who hasn't had the problem, yet.  The problem is, CamBam won't build a cutter path for a profile MOp when the cut spacing between profiles is the same width as the cutter diameter.

You COULD just do the parts with an engraving MOp, but that's inconvenient if you already have part outlines drawn a cutter-width apart.  There's a simpler solution:

I just describe the cutter as being 1/100000" smaller than it actually is.  For instance, if it were an 1/8" endmill (0.125"), I'll tell CamBam that the tool is 0.12499" in diameter.

This allows CB to make the path, but doesn't affect the width of the slot at all, because most machines we deal with cannot position to that accuracy - they work to the nearest 10th.

Hope it helps someone!

LLoyd
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 17:09:58 pm by lloydsp »
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"