Author Topic: Little Shapeoko2 w/upgrades  (Read 5963 times)

Offline Redpaw_Designs

• Ewok
  • Eat What You Kill
    • View Profile
Little Shapeoko2 w/upgrades
« on: April 03, 2015, 19:22:22 pm »
This is my machine, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Shapeoko2 with my mods:

I custom cut new spindle mounts ( used CamBam ) to house the upgraded Ridgid 2401 trim router with Variable speed. I then used CamBam to pocket out a 31mm opening in the top mount so that the rubber hose fitting would pass through and lock into the lower mount. The lower mount has a 26 mm pocket that the rubber fitting locks into and I cut off the other rubber end and inserted it, and made a stubby suction nozzle with it. I now have a highly flexible nozzle that allows the hose to compress when the spindle plunges into the workpiece and still stay with the sawdust extruded.

Ive ran it through the paces, and it works rather well.

I added the Rail Guards to the interior extrusions to keep the belts, wheels and pulleys protected, just a few strips of 3M two sided tape and a major improvement immediately. I may have lost a little workspace but, not worrying about skipping steps from build up of crud is worth it.

I also used another 3/4" waste board under the existing 1/2" MDF sold with the unit, as I found that 1/2" mdf has a deflection on a stock shapeoko 2 as the design has no center table support. I now have no deflection. I also predrilled the 3/4" mdf with 1/4 inserts so that I can move my hold downs to any location as needed.

I used CamBam to make the slotted hold downs, in various lengths from 2" to 10" out of 3/4 plywood for now, I have more made in HDPE 1/2" that Ive made as well. I used a heat gun on the HDPE to warm up the hold downs and bend them like a good rockler brand type hold down.

I haven't had any problems so far, I am generally conservative with speed and feeds and this little machine has taught me a lot considering I didn't know crap about CNC machines and CNC software 30 days ago.

Thanks for everything, you guys are very easy to follow and learn from.
Design it all you want, its the machining that makes the difference.

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Little Shapeoko2 w/upgrades
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 19:36:39 pm »
Those rail guards look good, I can see they will keep the rails and mechanical bits very clean.
Made in England

Offline Redpaw_Designs

• Ewok
  • Eat What You Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 20:48:54 pm »
Thank You EddyCurrent.

My next mod will be a cover over the X & Z mount plates, with little sections of toothbrushes attached to keep the rails swept clean as it travel along the X axis.

I was just going to heat up the freebie acrylic a neighbor gave me and form bend the acrylic over the X mounting plates.

Offline Redpaw_Designs

• Ewok
  • Eat What You Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 19:03:41 pm »
I'd like to share the .cb file with anyone who might need to edit the spindle mounts I made, for their machine.

Here is the file:

Offline kjlpdx

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 02:28:32 am »
I have found that closed cell grey foam works well to keep the rails clean.  it is easier to form than bristles and very easy to figure out how to attach it to moving parts.  I had pieces left over from outfitting my kayak and gave it a try.  I use some bent wires, where the ends fit into the existing socket head screws for the bearings,
to hold the pieces in place.  undercut the dimensions and everything fits nicely.

Offline Redpaw_Designs

• Ewok
  • Eat What You Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 02:43:18 am »
I have found that closed cell grey foam works well to keep the rails clean.  it is easier to form than bristles and very easy to figure out how to attach it to moving parts.  I had pieces left over from outfitting my kayak and gave it a try.  I use some bent wires, where the ends fit into the existing socket head screws for the bearings,
to hold the pieces in place.  undercut the dimensions and everything fits nicely.

That sounds interesting, I may look into that. Got a picture of the implementation you describe?

I had planned on just buying two $1 toothbrushes from the dollar store, cutting off the head with bristles and hot gluing the brush heads to the formed tabs that are from the future cover I was going to make, that would be out ahead of the wheels/bearings and always sweeping them clean.

Either way it goes, it just has to function repeatedly.