Author Topic: DXF Help!  (Read 3494 times)

Offline speterxx

• Ewok
    • View Profile
DXF Help!
« on: August 17, 2016, 21:15:13 pm »
I am trying to bring in a DXF file of a 1.4in x 1.4in square into CamBam to do a profile cut. The DXF file is generated through SolidWorks drawing which is saved as a DXF file. I open the DXF file which has correct dimensions into CamBam and come to find out that the dimensions of the square are 2.8 x 2.8?? The dimensions are set to inches in CamBam upon opening the program. When I generate the tool path and gcode and send it to the CNC machine a 12mm x 12mm square is cut? I just put a ruler on the platform to see the actual distance traveled by the cutter. How do I get the 1.4in x 1.4in square to be cut?   

Thank you in advanced!

Offline dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam V1.0 French Doc
Re: DXF Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 21:44:09 pm »
Hello,

I open the DXF file which has correct dimensions into CamBam and come to find out that the dimensions of the square are 2.8 x 2.8??

Hum yes, I've the same pb with SW. To obtain the right scale in CB you must use a 1:1 scale in the setting of the drawing sheet (edit background then edit properties) in SW.

++
David

Offline SRDC

• Droid
    • View Profile
    • Solid Rock Enterprises - Manufacturing
Re: DXF Help!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 01:07:24 am »
Yep. Like David says, the problem is with SolidWorks (and other similar CAD programs), you're actually exporting the DXF from the drawing, not the model itself. Usually SW & kin use an automatic scaling for the drawings to optimize the size on the page, unless you manually override it.

Problem is, while the drawing *says* 1.4 inches, the *ACTUAL* line that is output to the DXF may be twice as many machine units ... or 10x, 0.1x, or ...

So...you have to manually check that the scale of the drawing is 1:1 before you output to DXF, even if it hangs off the page on either end!