Author Topic: Turning a profile on our mill  (Read 3651 times)

Offline Garyhlucas

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Turning a profile on our mill
« on: November 04, 2016, 20:38:53 pm »
I've attached a CB file showing a part we are trying to turn.  It is PVC and we are holding it in a chuck on the mill spindle and turning using boring and profiling tools.  Work plane is XZ.  The groove profile shows a tool path but I don't see a way to rough from the solid which would require multiple passes, going deeper and deeper.  How do we specify the diameter of the stock so CB knows where to start?  There is a tapered bore in this part too. In the first pass we use an end mill as a drill and peck in using a canned cycle.  Then I have created tool paths to use the end mill as a boring bar to open up the bore as CamBam doesn't do internal tool paths at the moment.  We also need to face the end, which CamBam starts from the outside going in. We need to do that going from the center outwards.

It would be really great if CamBam supported Mill as Lathe with MOPs! I think that would really put it in a class of it's own.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/

Offline dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam V1.0 French Doc
Re: Turning a profile on our mill
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 21:03:40 pm »
Hello,

More info about how to define the stock with lathe

http://www.cambam.info/doc/dw/0.9.8/cam/Lathe.htm

I add a file in attachment.

there is 2 problem on your file ; both stocksurface and clearance plane are bad (SS must be at least = radius, and of course CP must be > SS)

++
David

Offline kvom

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Turning a profile on our mill
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 11:07:47 am »
Sometimes it's better to hand code some things.  The V shaped groove is an example.

Using a square parting blade cut the flat part of the groove with simple linear G1 moves in X.  Then  the tapered sides can be cut with the same tool using its edges.

Facing is also an easy manual operation.