Author Topic: Another laser question, this time about filling in vectors  (Read 3124 times)

Offline PCI0001

• Ewok
    • View Profile
Another laser question, this time about filling in vectors
« on: November 28, 2016, 17:55:15 pm »
Now that I've got the text coming out much better, I'd like to use the laser to fill in vector shapes. I've looked at the tutorial for doing pocketing but I don't know how to get it working with a laser, being that it's such a thin beam rather than an actual cutter. I ran a forum search but only found a couple of threads on the subject. One was too complicated for me to understand at this time (went WAY over my head). The author seems to have been inactive for the last few years so I don't think he'll be around to give advice or tips right now.

Does anyone know of any tutorial that discusses doing a pocket MOP with a laser? I'm using a Chinese K40 laser with the electronics and software replaced with a Beagleboard/LinuxCNC.

Here are his threads on the subject:

http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3323.0

http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3438.0

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Online lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Another laser question, this time about filling in vectors
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 18:24:00 pm »
I'm not a laser machinist, although I spent some good time in the 1990s working with lasers in my prior career.

I'm just going the "throw this out there", and see what sticks --

The laser beam (though narrow) has a diameter at its cutting depth you can pretty-well count on as being your "tool diameter".  So, if you set up pocketing MOps with that as your tool diameter -- it ought to work for pocketing.

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

Offline syonker

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 20:31:57 pm »
Hi Gang,

First, off:  I LOVE CAMBAM!  It's an AWESOME package and I use it constantly for laser and 3D.  I plan to build a CNC plasma cutter and will use it for that as well.   :D

Second, if I'm missing a key plugin or add-on here, lemme know and strike down my post much like Obi Wan Kenobe was struck down by Darth Vader (I am *not* comparing your development staff to Darth Vader - foot...in....mouth  :o).

I too would like to chime in here.  Since I've been using CAMBAM to work with my laser engraver for some time now, my one request would be some allowance that allows for a larger variety of fill styles over simply horizontal, vertical, and concentric (center or outside or both).  The benefits here could include:

THE OVERALL LOOK:  With a laser, it's possible to get a lot of subtlety out of the material or the design by using alternative fill patterns that while procedural product an organic look and feel.  For example, the ability to generate a "woodgrain" pattern complete with knots, or "riveted steel", "halftones", "cross hatches", "spirals", "donuts", "diagonals" (yes, I know this is already possible with some trickery), "sketchy lines" and even "varying thicknesses" (via multiple passes over the same line with a random "out of path" arrangement of some sort), "squares", "mosaic", "pop art", "shingles", "bricks", "radials", "shapes", "swirls" paisley", "letters", "DECwriter" (I just dated myself), "scales", "scallops", "flames", and I'm sure the user community could come up with a few thousand more.  The point would be allowing a way to create fill styles on the part of plug-in developers, script-writers, and ultimately, end users (within reason).

EFFICIENCY:  Someone mentioned somewhere else that there was an algorithm to generate a "spiral" fill pattern from the center, never "lifting the bit".  This would also help in laser work in certain cases such as using a larger halftone.

FUN:  Hey, fill patterns are fun.

SHEER COOLNESS:  "My project is COOLER than your project because I used CAMBAM and you didn't!!!").   8)

Anyway,

My two cents ($3.14 adjusted for inflation, interest, cost-of-living, and VAT).

As I said, love the product, dig the active community, and it's working great for me!

-S

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
  • Made in England
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 21:59:13 pm by EddyCurrent »
Filmed in Supermarionation

Online dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam V1.0 French Doc
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 22:39:28 pm »
Hello,

I'm working currently to add new patterns to the Hatch plugin ... and maybe (if it would work), a way to define custom patterns ...  ;)

++
David

Online dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam V1.0 French Doc
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 22:49:06 pm »
a way to spiral fill

http://screencast.com/t/2Tkgsc7obxKr

++