Author Topic: The Laser Project  (Read 13266 times)

Offline Bubba

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: The Laser Project
« Reply #165 on: October 16, 2020, 23:27:19 pm »
I'll post something about the aspect ratio of the
dot produced by led lasers and why you should take it into account when setting the heightmap step ratio (the step down in Y)
Dave,
Frankly, I didn't give much thought about the step ratio, I did as 'this number is just about right' approach. That's why I've mentioned tweaking it. Having said that, I'm all ears and happy to try your suggestions. Thanks.
My 2¢

Win 10 64 bit, CB [1.0} rc 1 64 bit, Mach3, ESS, G540

Offline GeoffreyGRoy

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 16, 2020, 23:44:31 pm »
Dear Dave

In your post (https://cambamcnc.com/forum/index.php?topic=8742.msg69750#msg69750) you referred to three applications (CBToMach3-fixed-feedrateandpwmfrommop.exe, CBtoMach33VariablePWM.exe and CBToMach3VariablePWMLinkingLines.exe).  Could you please post a link to these.

thanks
Geoff

Offline dave benson

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 17, 2020, 11:41:01 am »
Here you go.
Dave

Offline Bubba

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 17, 2020, 13:23:06 pm »
Hi Dave,

The zip with exe files you posted are post processors? When clicked on it I got unhandled exception message. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 13:26:36 pm by Bubba »
My 2¢

Offline Bubba

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2020, 14:04:34 pm »
I think those zip files i've mentioned in prevous post are post treatment type. Not sure how to use them with Geoff's Laser Convert plugin.
My 2¢

Offline GeoffreyGRoy

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2020, 23:08:59 pm »
Dear Dave

Thanks for the post on the PPTS, but without the sources they are not of much use. Do you have the sources?  Or, is there a post that describes what that are supposed to do?
thanks
Geoff

Offline dave benson

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 18, 2020, 03:53:17 am »
Hi Bubba

Those PPT's were for Geoff so that he can employ the methods into his plugin.
After writing nine of these blessed things I stopped focusing on the minutia and
gained some insight into the bigger picture.
There is no 'one size fits all' approach to lazing  raster or vector Images.
For example the CBtoMach3-fixed-feedrateandpwmfrommop PPT
generates files wicked fast and there small, this is the one I use from cutting out gaskets, and
would be suitable for jigsaw pieces and work of that sort.
These files also cut fast the fastest, however this method is useless for raster work or filled vectors.

The CBtoMach3LaserPPVariablePWM (fixed feedrate variable laser power) is more suitable for rastering.
however because it has to visit every pixel address regardless of whether the pixel needs to be lazed or not
is the slowest method. if you have you laser set up properly and plenty of time and don't need the router or
mill to do anything else it's ok.

The CBToMach3PPVariablePWMLinkingLines (Fixed feedrate Variable PWM) is a much faster version of the
CBtoMach3LaserPPVariablePWM as it only visits the pixels that need to be lased and puts an outline around the
drawing objects. to be used with the raster heightmap method.
depending on the drawing type (whether it's a photo or a cartoon) the method is fast when the raster image contains
a small group or groups of pixels (cartoons or text) then it is quite fast however if its a photographic image then it's best to
use the CBtoMach3LaserPPVariablePWM.

All of these methods apply to PC powered mills or routers where there is plenty of compute.
For unmodified K40 type machines where PWM is not an option you are better of working with the drawing.
You could use CBtoMach3LaserPPVariablePWM  and upgrade the controller and use variable feedrates but this
requires fast comports and microprocessors.

Anyway that's all I've got for now, and as the last of my stepper motors arrived yesterday I'm keen to make
the mounting hardware for the last axis to do the X axis and test everything out, well almost I've one M4 hole to
tap in a linear shaft and even though I'd thought I'd machined away the hard outer surface when attempting to
tap the hole the tap felt to tight and when I pulled it out (only one or two threads) the almost new tap was blunt
and so have ordered some tungsten taps which should arrive tomorrow.

Edit no Bubba they are not for you. you can use the (laserPP's and .exe's together) or the plugin

Dave

Offline dave benson

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 18, 2020, 03:56:51 am »
HI Geoff

There is a small problem here this is the contents of a PM between Bubba and I
from a few days ago (edit just checked my inbox and I haven’t saved the reply to bubba)
the gist of it is no sources as I was lazy and used the same form over and over again.
As you can see  I wrote this stuff for Bubba as I'm never going to use any of the work myself.

I'm not adverse to rewriting the code as soon as I've tested out my multi axis grinder mechanically and for sure
some code debugging, then I have to write a small treatise on AI control methodology for Autonomous machine tools
concerning the safety problem.
This is a small group of people who like and respect greatly and I've over committed myself  promising to do this three
and a half weeks ago and feel under a lot of pressure as I don't want to just  'put something out there' and have to do this in a clear,concise and coherent manner as these machines are just as happy to machine my meaty friends as well as metal.

Dave

Offline Bubba

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 18, 2020, 11:11:24 am »
Hi Dave.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.
 To be honest, I'm not picky, actually I'm happy with the results Geoff's plugin produces specially when feed option is used. For my use, as long as it can be recognized and represents the original well I'm good with that. Keeping in mind that I'm going to laser some soft woods and plywood used to make small keep boxes the fine details of those images are distant second for me.
My 2¢