Author Topic: New bed router  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Dragonfly

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: New bed router
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2020, 18:06:55 pm »
25% faster than on the old machine, without any changes in code.
Is the rapid (G0) speed higher than the old one?

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2020, 18:50:27 pm »
It's WAY faster on rapids!  It moves the entire length of the 8-foot x 4-foot workpiece diagonally in three seconds!

And yes, it's the rapids that make the work go so much faster.  I haven't bothered (yet) changing any feed rates -- only spindle speed to accommodate the new and more-powerful brushless spindle.  Oddly, it's top speed is somewhat slower than the old; 18Krpm instead of 22Krpm.  But by upping the spindle speed on certain operations, I've been able to get cleaner work, with fewer 'burrs' and cosmetic cleanups to do.

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

Offline Bob La Londe

• CNC Jedi
  • ^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.
    • View Profile
    • CNC Molds N Stuff
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2020, 20:34:39 pm »
If its 18K its likely a 4 pole motor intended to have more torque at lower RPMs and requires higher frequency to reach top RPM.  I see a lot of 18K 4 pole ATC spindles.  Usually the more powerful ones. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2020, 21:33:29 pm »
This was both a really good day, and one of the scariest days I've worked in while.  But it all turned out OK.

I had to climb 20' up on an extension ladder to install the lamp hangers and chains for the two new lights in our router bay.  The only problem was that there was NOWHERE to pin the ladder at the top, except edgewise on the thin edge of a 1x8 roofing stringer.  That's only 7/8" of support, even on the rough-cut lumber!  And long ladders bow a little as you climb, making them shorter! <irk>  And I'm extremely afraid at the top of a long ladder!

Eh... I put up the ladder, jammed it snugly against the roofing, then GENTLY climbed it the first time and hung a safety harness.  The rest was scary, but done without incident, except for my elevated heart rate and BP!!! <grin>.  I hung two new two-tube fluorescent fixtures.

Also, I got the rest of the outlet wiring done on the new 4th wall, and re-did the light switching so I have 3-way switches on them, now.  Now I can turn the lights on and off at the new entry door or at the old location.

Whew!  I'm glad I won't have to do THAT again.  The rest - insulation, cooling, and the like - will be simple and safe in comparison.  But funds won't permit that right now, so I get to relax for a bit.

Also, I have a fellow fireworker coming over next week to learn how to operate the routers.  This will be good backup.  He's a smart, mechanically-minded, young, and energetic guy, and could pick up where I left off if I got sick or injured.

Lloyd

Offline Bob La Londe

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • CNC Molds N Stuff
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2020, 21:44:37 pm »
Well!  Today we cut our first sheet of commercial goods on the new machine.

Except for some very-minor marring around 1/8" drilled holes (from accumulated chips), everything went perfectly.   And, it went about 25% faster than on the old machine, without any changes in code.  I reckon we can increase speeds and feeds to improve that.

We have CONTACT! <grin>

Lloyd

Fast chip breaking unless the marring is unimportant. 

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2020, 22:13:09 pm »
Yep!  I've just got to adjust that drilling cycle so the first peck is no more than 1 drill diameter below the surface.  That'll fix it.

Lloyd

Offline dave benson

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2020, 00:35:09 am »
Lloyd

If your hole is more than 2\3 drill diameters deep, then post the details
Drill dia\depth of hole if using clearance moves where you need them and I'll
run them through my G83 plugin and then in that plugin thread I'll post the details
on how I did this. the plugin will turn a CB G83 into any ISO drilling canned cycle
or a custom one of you own design.
I have made an adjustment to it since posting it adding a decimal place
to a field for imperial measurements and making the error messages
more meaningful, but have been too busy in the shop to post it.

Dave

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2020, 02:17:08 am »
Dave,
Thanks.  I use G83 cycles in all my multi-peck drilling.  The cycle isn't the problem.

The problem is that the material is so flexible and 'extrudable' that if I drill more than 1 drill diameter deep on the first peck (only 0.125" drill), it produces flanges and chips that adhere to the surface edges of the holes.  They're not a 'functional' defect, but are a cosmetic one.  They don't prevent proper use of the parts.

If I drill no more than one drill dia. on the first peck, it removes those pretty-effectively.  I'm cutting foamed PVC board.  It's weird material.  On the older, slower machine, it doesn't happen.  So the other alternative would be to lower the down-feed rate.  But I like the faster ability of the new machine!

I've just got to adjust my clearance height/peck-distance to accommodate, OR do the first peck at a lower feed rate, then the rest of the hole at a higher rate.  There's no machining time-cost to that latter way, just coding effort.

Thank you,
Lloyd

Offline dave benson

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2020, 03:53:02 am »
HI Lloyd

To be clear that plugin, takes the standard G83 which CB makes with 3 variables and lets you customize it
with 6 extra variables so that you can fully customize it to do what you described above.

Including rapid to stock height from clearance plane, which saves a ton of time, drill to any first peck
depth you like.
Add extra clearance moves anywhere in the hole, in short you can generate a fully customized
canned Drilling cycle to suit your needs.

Once you have generated the CB file with the standard G83 this plugin loads up the .nc file
and removes the canned cycle and replaces it with one that you designed it also gives you the
long hand version of the canned cycle just like G32 is to G76 for threading on the lathe.
The advantage of this, is that will run on any controller and simulate correctly with camotics.
If you examine the Gcode it produces you can see exactly what the drill is doing at any point in the hole.

Dave

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2020, 10:45:14 am »
AH!  Ok, Dave;  thanks!

I'll explore the plugin.  I'm already running a custom script to modify some of the standard g-codes to a format this brand of router understands.  It would be no big deal to invoke another plugin.

Yours,
Lloyd

Offline Bob La Londe

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • CNC Molds N Stuff
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2020, 19:55:57 pm »
See if it supports a G73 cycle.  Unless you are drilling to near the end of the flutes its really fast and you can do it in CamBam without use of a plugin using the custom script field the MOP.  I use it all the time now.  

Fanuc G73 High Speed Peck Drilling cycle performs high–speed peck drilling. It performs intermittent cutting feed to the bottom of a hole while removing chips from the hole. Fanuc G73 High Speed Peck Drilling Cycle is also called Fanuc G73 Chip Break Drilling Cycle.

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2020, 20:14:31 pm »
Thanks, Bob.

I'll check that out, also.

Lloyd