Author Topic: Not shop machinery, but still 'shop equipment'  (Read 1103 times)

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Not shop machinery, but still 'shop equipment'
« on: June 06, 2020, 15:51:12 pm »
I recently had a lightning strike to a tree just outside my barn (hope it didn't kill it, but not much hope).

It destroyed much of my internet equipment, including the UPS, the surge-protector, and the WIFI interface.  It was an UBIQUITI networks UNIFI interface -- over $200 each, and lots of detailed, slow work to set one up properly.

So I took a gamble, and bought a 'refurbished' TP-Link EAP110 WIFI interface.  It cost $33.99 plus tax, with free shipping and a return policy on Amazon Prime, so I wasn't too afraid to just try it. (A brand-new one is $49.99+tax from Amazon.)

I plugged it in, turned it on, and rebooted my computer.  The darned thing AUTOMATICALLY configured itself to match our network settings.  The only thing I did (for security) was change the username and password, and that was also nearly automatic.

And, it's FASTER than the expensive UNIFI box.  Not higher bandwidth, but much higher throughput.

If you need a new WIFI interface, consider one of these.  They're designed and properly protected for outdoor installation, even though I installed it indoors.  And they're equipped with channel-assignment for European installations.

They are NOT equipped to make transparent point-to-point links (like between our barn and house), but as a direct-access WIFI, I'm highly impressed.

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Not shop machinery, but still 'shop equipment'
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 15:56:33 pm »
I always go for TP-Link gear first having had good results in the past with it.
Made in England

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 16:09:21 pm »
That's good to know, Eddy; thanks.  I shall order a spare soon.

I can replace this thing four times for the cost of just ONE Ubiquiti interface.  The fact that it takes six minutes to fully install and configure is a big plus!

Lloyd

Offline Bob La Londe

• CNC Jedi
  • ^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.
    • View Profile
    • CNC Molds N Stuff
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 18:18:27 pm »
Nearby lightning strikes cause a lot of damage and not much can stop it.  in another lifetime when I worked for the phone company we used to have little carbon protectors and then later gas tube protectors on houses where the telephone line entered the house. We called them thousand foot lightning protectors.  basically if there was a lightning strike on the line more than a thousand foot away it would most likely just take out the lightning protector. If it was closer than a thousand feet we could count on fried hardware inside the telephone. 
Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com

Offline Bob La Londe

• CNC Jedi
  • ^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.
    • View Profile
    • CNC Molds N Stuff
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 18:20:03 pm »
In years since then I've noticed almost no other utility takes any effort other than a ground to protect from lightning.  When we first moved into this house we had a particularly bad storm and took a lightning strike on the ground in the yard. Why it didn't hit the house I don't know. Anyway it fried several pieces of electronics inside the house.
Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 18:27:58 pm »
Yeah... not much is protected, anymore; I'm guessing because it's not protective-enough to be cost-effective, too.

This last strike hit a tree eleven feet from the edge of the barn roof.  I'm pretty-certain it has killed the pine tree.

I'm also sure that some 'radial' rays struck the metal barn roof, also.  it took out my security light, and ALL the network hardware except (except!) the satellite antenna and receiver, which IS protected, both on power and on the signal line.

It's all working again, and was only about $300 to fix it, so I'm not filing insurance claims.

Lloyd

Offline Garyhlucas

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 01:10:11 am »
A friend had a power line surge from lightening take out their stove.  A second hit took out the stove again a few months later.  We installed a surge suppressor in the panel. A third strike blew the surge suppressor apart destroying the panel completely!  Lightning started a fire in a house at the end of our street.  Recently another strike on the cable TV box in the front lawn  of the same house dug a trench clear across the yard to another street behind the house.  So much for the theory lightning never strikes twice in the same place!
Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 17:56:09 pm »
And the tree is stone-cold dead.  Another project!

I may have to hire a pro, because it leans toward the barn, and I'm not sure I can fell it the right direction.

Lloyd

Offline Dragonfly

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 20:34:31 pm »
Isn't it possible to install lightning rods for protection?

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 20:54:41 pm »
Fly,
The barn wasn't struck, a tree adjacent to it was.  It's about 30' taller than the barn (big tree!), so lightning rods would have had no benefit.  Besides... rods ATTRACT lightning strikes, which I really don't want to do! <grin>

FWIW, pretty-much all the trees near the barn are taller than the ridge of the roof.  About ten big trees a year on this road get struck.  We were just 'lucky' this year.

I'm diligent at making sure that NO shop equipment is connected to the power lines when not in operation.  I just need to get rid of that dead tree, and I'm not sure I'm competent to do it.

Lloyd

Offline Bubba

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 23:47:24 pm »
Lloy,
Your best bet is pay someone who is insured and not worry about. Anybody who is insured to this kind of work have the experienced crew and the equipment to do this safely. Good luck.
My 2ยข

Win10 (64 bit, CB(1.0)rc 1(64 bit) Mach3, ESS, G540, Endurance Laser.

Offline Garyhlucas

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 13:23:29 pm »
At our electrical business we did lots of fire repair jobs so my dad was very worried about a fire in our shop. So the whole shop was fed through a main contactor that shut everything off when you turn off the lights. We had a couple of dedicated outlets marked for battery chargers.
Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/