Author Topic: 2nd ISO20 Spindle Installed  (Read 188 times)

Offline Bob La Londe

• CNC Jedi
  • ^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.
    • View Profile
    • CNC Molds N Stuff
2nd ISO20 Spindle Installed
« on: June 08, 2020, 18:13:44 pm »
I know. I know. I had the first one installed and started on this second one ages ago. I've just been busy. Anyway. Got it installed. Now I can actually use that machine instead of walking past it wishing I had it cutting parts instead of halfway through an upgrade.

It was a huge pain. It uses a 4 way 5 port air valve to operate. I had planned to use a manual one with a knob on the end of the shuttle like I did on the first one. Worked great on the first machine, but this valve was, sticking, jamming, and bypassing air. I finally opened it up and there was something in it. All the metal around the o-ring grooves was jacked up. I would have had to wait for a new one to come in to do it the same as the first machine.

I WANTED IT DONE.

In my salvage parts cabinet I pulled out a 4 way 5 port electric solenoid operated spool valve, and started looking for a button with some sort of shield. Finally I settled on an old arcade game button (uses a proper microswitch) and mounted it inside a 2 inch ABS pipe cap to protect it from being accidentally being bumped and sending a tool holder flying around the cabinet.

Today I'll start measuring tools and entering them into the tool table.

I have to say I am pretty happy with the ISO20 spindles so far. My only real complaint is the price.

When I get started on the bridge mill its definitely going to get something like that.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 18:15:28 pm by Bob La Londe »
Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com

Offline Bob La Londe

• CNC Jedi
  • ^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.
    • View Profile
    • CNC Molds N Stuff
Re: 2nd ISO20 Spindle Installed
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 00:01:04 am »
I used to absolutely dread using tiny little end mills.  1/32 (.03125 inch) and 0.026 inch are small ball mills use modestly often, and I was just afraid of them.  They break so easily when handling.  I found material removal rates that work for them, but I still hated handling them.  Now with them preloaded in a tool holder, the tool height saved in the tool table, and styles setup with safe feed/speed/DOC/WOC I don't really think much about using them at all.  They are just another tool.  I slap it in the machine and press start. 
Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com