Author Topic: Display units of feedrate  (Read 222 times)

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Display units of feedrate
« on: June 19, 2020, 13:27:37 pm »
I would like to see the "Feedrate" units displayed in the lower information window. e.g. "mm/min"

I known it sounds rather pathetic but when I sometimes decide to investigate feeds and speeds I'm never certain what the units are.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 13:29:54 pm by EddyCurrent »
Made in England

Offline CitizenOfDreams

• Ewok
    • View Profile
Re: Display units of feedrate
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 16:07:39 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but CamBam has no way to know what the feed speed units are. Feed speed is just a number. It is up to the CNC controller to interpret that number as inches per minute (if G20 is currently active), millimeters per minute (if G21 is active) or even strokes per minute (if G93 is active).

Offline Garyhlucas

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 17:20:56 pm »
If the safe block you are posting contains G20 then CamBam can report that you are working in inches and if it contains G21 it can report it as millimetres.
Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/

Online lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 17:43:13 pm »
How will it know until after you've generated the g-code?
L
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 17:48:15 pm »
Because CamBam knows what units I chose, mm or inches. It's not that I don't know which units I use it's the specifics of what is the feedrate number I've entered e.g. 2000, is it mm/min, m/s, mm/sec, that's the bit I can never remember so I'd just like a reminder in the text box.

Here's another way to look at it. When CamBam is used with inches as the units, Feedrate defaults to 30 but if I use mm it defaults to 800, so the software knows something, I'd just like it to say in the text box what units it has set those somethings to.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 18:19:50 pm by EddyCurrent »
Made in England

Offline dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam V1.0 French Doc
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 21:19:10 pm »
Hello,

The texts in the Help panel is a "translatable" text and can be set as you want in the translation file with the translation plugin ; in my case of course I use the FR translation file, but I wonder if there is a way to use a translation file with the english version ? ; if this is the case, you can set any text you want to replace the built-in one.

++
David

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 21:57:13 pm »
David,

It's a good idea but there is no English file to download; https://cambamcnc.com/ref/ref.lang

Maybe one can be created ?, I'll have a look. I will use the German one as a starting point because I can speak that better  :D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 22:00:00 pm by EddyCurrent »
Made in England

Offline dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam V1.0 French Doc
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 22:03:50 pm »
I think you can just change the langage in the option to another you want and a blank translation file will be generated.

maybe, if you rename the file translate_en (without extension) it will be loaded when english is selected ?

++
David

Offline dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam V1.0 French Doc
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 22:13:57 pm »
Ok, CB do not load a file called translate_en when set to english, the only way is to use another language then change the texts you want.

example with "filipino" language, with cut feedrate modified (you must select filipino as language)

the translation file must be in the cambam system folder at root.

++
David

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 10:01:58 am »
David,

That worked. The English text strings are in plain text within CamBam.CAD.dll so should be easy to 'adjust'  ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:05:38 am by EddyCurrent »
Made in England