Author Topic: Laser Engraving for Greyscale Images  (Read 471 times)

Offline Bubba

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Laser Engraving for Greyscale Images
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2020, 13:46:32 pm »
Bingo! That's what I was looking for.

Thank you Geoff for plugin that done this (see attached picture). I'm positive that it can produce even better results in time, like anything else understanding it, tweaking and practice will give satisfying results.

In this instance, I have used the plugin FEED option, I won't post the exact setting because I don't remember exact numbers and don't want to mislead. But I want to point out the SPEED option is painfully slow and the results are not as good from my personal experience, the FEED option is fast relatively speaking. I'm very pleased.

One suggestion I would like to make. Is it possible to reconfigure this plugin so it remembers settings? If so it would be welcomed. Thanks again Geoff. 

The hand written numbers are laser power settings. 100% is full power.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 13:48:52 pm by Bubba »
My 2¢

Win 10 64 bit, CB [1.0} rc 1 64 bit, Mach3, ESS, G540

Offline Bubba

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 16:10:02 pm »
Once again, Thank you Geoff for your effort. Much appreciated.

Couple more pictures showing settings and results.

The lasered images shown now and in previous post were done on soft plywood leftover from previous projects, not the best, for this but that's what I have on hand.

All the numbers are in inch units.

Because it is best not to derail the conversation about this plugin development I will continue posting my lasering experiences here: https://cambamcnc.com/forum/index.php?topic=8372.msg69758;topicseen#msg69758
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 16:16:31 pm by Bubba »
My 2¢

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2020, 08:58:40 am »
Geoff,

I don't know why there is a "Load" button. Having used "Browse" to select a file then clicking "Open", it would normally mean that the file has been 'Loaded'

I'm currently experimenting with the K40 gas laser and your image of the grey scale squares. A modification to an existing post processor was the first thing to make, S0(laser off) when Z=>0, S1(laser on) when Z<0

The only viable option with the K40 and your plugin is to use variable feed rate so that's what I'm on with now.

I should point out that I'm talking about a K40 laser with the stock M2 control board fitted.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 09:04:14 am by EddyCurrent »
Made in England

Offline Bubba

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2020, 10:43:24 am »
I don't know why there is a "Load" button
Eddy,

It loads Z values from gcode to be converted.
My 2¢

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2020, 11:09:20 am »
Bubba,

Yes. I know, but it could all be done from the "Browse" button after the file has been opened.
Made in England

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2020, 15:48:52 pm »

The only viable option with the K40 and your plugin is to use variable feed rate so that's what I'm on with now.

It's not working, the reason being that each time the machine receives an F command the laser head does a dance to the left before moving on. I may have to contact Scorch to see if it's in the software or the K40 controller.

That leaves dithering as the only grey scale method for now.

Edit: Speedy response from Scorch ! he says the stock controller requires quite a chunk of data to be transferred for speed changes and the small dance was introduced to fix a problem with the controller. Assuming the small dance could be eliminated
there would still be a log jam due to the amount of data being sent for multiple feed rate speed changes.

My conclusion, it's not going to work with variable feedrate  :(
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 16:19:44 pm by EddyCurrent »
Made in England

Offline GeoffreyGRoy

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2020, 08:45:40 am »
Dear Bubba

The browse button does not open the file, it just sets the path.  I did this so that I could fill in the path from the current Cambam file name and the selected MOP part (as a guess so that it may not be necessary to "Browse" - but which might not be always correct.  So, "Browse" sets the Path, and "Load" reads the file to extract Zmin and Zmax.  The Zmin and Zmax values may also change if the MOP is re-generated (in the same session with with same name), so the file must be re-Loaded to get the new values, without having to  "Browse".

In the next version I will also set the Path by restoring the saved settings -  to come soon.

Geoff

Offline Bubba

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2020, 11:17:31 am »
The browse button does not open the file, it just sets the path.

Hi Geoff

Although I did not ask for the explanation for this, thank you nonetheless ;D ;D ;D ;D
My 2¢