Author Topic: End Profile Script for 4th axis machining  (Read 98 times)

Offline GeoffreyGRoy

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
End Profile Script for 4th axis machining
« on: October 28, 2020, 08:12:29 am »
This script is intended to provided a capability of machining long items on a 4th Axis with an arbitrary shaped cross section without having a full 3D model;  for example, an elliptical-shaped post.  The user must first draw the required cross-sectional shape, then use the script to un-wrap it to the X,Y plane.  From there a 3D surface can be generated (using standard CamBam functions and/or other plugins), a MOP created, and then the resulting G-Code wrapped around the X or Y axis to produce a G-Code file suitable for machining with a 4th axis (A or B).

I have provided a Python script for the moment as it is really quite simple and might be easily modified to suit individual needs.  I can provide a plugin (that offers a little better security and robustness) but is perhaps less accessible - if there is interest.

I am attaching the script and User Guide in the ZIP file, and a couple of example results produced.

Comments and feedback is most welcome.

Geoff

Offline Garyhlucas

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: End Profile Script for 4th axis machining
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 17:27:40 pm »
Interesting you brought this up at this time. A thread on Home Shop Machinist was started by someone turning cam lobe shapes using a lathe function to move the Z in and out in synch with the spindle. That give a similar result. I think your script could be very useful.  Putting a hex on a shaft for instance.
Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/