Author Topic: Cambam "Not responding"  (Read 764 times)

Offline Klaus1311

• Ewok
    • View Profile
Cambam "Not responding"
« on: November 07, 2020, 14:50:04 pm »
Hello,

today I've installed CambamV1.0 64bit. My OS is Win10 20H2 Build 19042.610. If I start Cambam without putting the "license file" in program folder, it asks for serial number. After insertion it renders a few frames and stops. Windows shows  "Not responding". If I put the license file to the program folder and start Cambam, it renders a few frames and windows reports "Not responding". The license number works without issues with Cambam 0.9.8. Any help would be appreciated.

Klaus

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Cambam "Not responding"
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 15:12:16 pm »
These possibly related issues have been reported recently, maybe they can help ?

https://cambamcnc.com/forum/index.php?topic=8647.msg68846#msg68846
https://cambamcnc.com/forum/index.php?topic=8610.msg68502#msg68502

Perhaps it's to do with .NET4 see here; https://cambamcnc.com/downloads/
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 19:33:08 pm by EddyCurrent »
Made in England

Offline Klaus1311

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 20:28:01 pm »
Hi,
I tried all hints, none of them helped. I did uninstall CamBam and restarted window. I then installed CamBam again. It worked, after that I shutdown windows. Next day I started CamBam - and the CamBam issue was here again. CamBam started to render a view parts a froze again, see attachment.
Software
Win10 Pro Build 19042.662 64 Bit
Net Framework 4 is installed
Hardware
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Klaus

Offline Klaus1311

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 21:31:14 pm »
Hello,

I think I found the problem. It's a bit weird, I uninstalled CamBam V1 again, removed the cambam folders and restarted windows. After the installation of CamBam and adding the installation key I've sent the link icon to my desktop. It worked like a charm. BUT - after renaming the Link Icon CamBam froze again. This is reproducible. I would think this should behavior should be solved.

Klaus

Offline Dragonfly

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 10:59:17 am »
IMHO this is a Windows problem, not CamBam.

Offline Klaus1311

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 11:22:07 am »
Hi Dragonfly

I don't think so, if it would be a windows problem, all Links would react that way, but as far I can say from testing a few, they work properly.

Klaus

Offline Bubba

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 12:43:19 pm »
It look like this problem you describing is unique to your computer because pretty much identical setup in my PC and I don't see those issues here. I agree with Fly, the very fact that CB would not ask for a key after first installation is something that I never see before. It's a Win 10 problem. Read up about windows file association.
My 2¢

Win10 (64 bit, CB(1.0)rc 1(64 bit) Mach3, ESS, G540, Endurance Laser.

Offline Klaus1311

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 13:10:12 pm »
Hi Bubba

Perhaps I didn't describe my problem correct. After a lot of trying, I found out that my problem only happens only if a rename the Link on the desktop. If I leave the Link name untouched all works well.

Klaus

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 13:39:14 pm »
That tells me that the software is "looking for" the so-named link on the desktop, and failing to find it, it throws an error.

If you just must have a more conveniently-named link, create a copy of that link on the desktop, and re-name it; just don't delete the original.  Then, you can invoke it as you wish, and when it goes back to look, it'll find the correct link there, also.

(Yeah... I know... then you'll have TWO links on your desktop, instead of just the one...)

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

Offline Bubba

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 15:54:33 pm »
Something is going on with your Windows. Here, I attached captured screen of my desktop with CB icon renamed. It works like it should. IMHO, reamed icon should not have any affect on program it addresses other than starting it.
My 2¢

Win10 (64 bit, CB(1.0)rc 1(64 bit) Mach3, ESS, G540, Endurance Laser.

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 17:09:44 pm »
"...re(n)amed icon should not have any affect on program it addresses other than starting it."
-----------
I agree that if it would, it would be 'odd programming'.  But I have seen software packages that use their own desktop link more than once during a boot-up, supplying different command-tails each time they invoke it.  In that case, changing the name of the desktop link breaks the process.

That was why I made the comment.  I do agree that it's 'bad', if the software is so-written.

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"