Author Topic: Drill MOP Spiral Depth Increment on MDO plywood  (Read 1452 times)

Offline airnocker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Drill MOP Spiral Depth Increment on MDO plywood
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2021, 18:48:38 pm »
I've looked into a dust collector solution for my machine like David and Bubba shared photos of that they have (are) using, but unfortunately I do not have a good way of mounting the stationary collector to my Y-axis without the resulting collector shoe becoming far larger than it really needs to be.

But I've not given up with finding an "out-of-box" solution or adapting my router mounted, 2-liter Dr. Pepper bottle dust collector so it can work with shorter bits.

airnocker

Everything depends on everything else

Offline airnocker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2021, 20:08:55 pm »
Success!

I had two versions of my Dr. Pepper (or any 2-liter plastic bottle) dust collector, that I used for plastic and wood, one for my long .125"diameter, 1" flutes x 3" shank bits and one for shorter .125" diameter, .5" or .625" x 1" or 2" shank bits.  I was able to make minor modifications for the shorter dust collector so it fit higher up on the router body thereby extending the collet further through the down-flow deflector while giving the suction hose intake manifold good clearance above the work piece cutting surface.

I tested this setup on the first side, vertical upright computer desk support pieces and it worked wonderfully, plunging .125" diameter, 2-flute,  .625" long flutes down to the full stock thickness plus a little (-.76") while doing a Spiral Mill (CW) Drill MOP with a .25" hole diameter @ 30ipm.

So, I'm glad to have a more sound method for milling .75" MDO stock with a shorter bit solution that can realize faster IPMs.  Thanks to David and Bubba for there suggestions.   I'll have to give the .5" flute x 1" shank version of this bit a try next time.

Here is a photo.  Its a photo of the test fit that identified the side openings I would have to enlarge:

« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 20:12:06 pm by airnocker »
airnocker

Everything depends on everything else

Offline Bubba

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2021, 01:23:41 am »
There you go. Making progress. Just keep making chips... ;D
My 2ยข

Win10 (64 bit, CB(1.0)rc 1(64 bit) Mach3, ESS, G540, Endurance Laser.