Author Topic: Cutting an angle in the Z axis - How to?  (Read 445 times)

Offline JayDee

• Ewok
    • View Profile
Cutting an angle in the Z axis - How to?
« on: February 16, 2021, 14:48:34 pm »
Hi,
I've been making  some good chips and plenty of scrap in what I would call 2D routering.   

I now have a box and the ends need an opening machining at the ends but the sides of the opening need to be angled, about 30 degrees from vertical.

I could build a little jig to hold each box on end and 2d mill the simple (inverted trapazoid ) shape out of each end.
But this would need the box mounting three times, once for each end and top. 

Are there any good proaches to this, outside of learning a £££ 3D CAD package! :)
Jay.

Offline airnocker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting an angle in the Z axis - How to?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 15:49:14 pm »
Hi,
I've been making  some good chips and plenty of scrap in what I would call 2D routering.   

I now have a box and the ends need an opening machining at the ends but the sides of the opening need to be angled, about 30 degrees from vertical.

I could build a little jig to hold each box on end and 2d mill the simple (inverted trapazoid ) shape out of each end.
But this would need the box mounting three times, once for each end and top. 

Are there any good proaches to this, outside of learning a £££ 3D CAD package! :)
Jay.

I have the same need and have been researching that very question.  So far it seems we need to be able to import the desired 3D shape, described in an STL or 3DS file, into CamBam then create the MOP for the shape.  I find FreeCAD and Fustion 360 might be an open-source possibility but haven't asked if anyone on this forum has used either successfully for this purpose.

airnocker

Everything depends on everything else

Offline JayDee

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 16:04:12 pm »
I really would like to avoid having to learn a new 3D CAD package...  but if I had to what would I neet to define?
If I'm looking to just create a slot, could I define a single 2 shape in the required plane. 

From a Cambam point of view would this then be an engraving? 
I suppose I could profile the line to ensure my 3mm cutter removes all of the wall.

Or would I have to create a trough in 3D and pocket that in Cambam...   
Some way out of my expertise here.  ;)

Offline airnocker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 16:22:14 pm »
profile mops have a slope parameter yoh should explore.
airnocker

Offline JayDee

• Ewok
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting an angle in the Z axis - How to? Slope
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 17:08:34 pm »
Ah..thanks, I shall explor that.  I think that is just what I need for this simple job. 
<Side Profile> < Method> <Slope>

P.S.
 I'm grudingly thinking I will have to update my CAD for the future though... can stay in 2D forever. :)

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 18:14:01 pm »
Jaydee,
CamBam's "2.5D" capabilities will serve for most jobs.  Explore all of them, before you commit to buying and learning a new, complex 3D package!

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

Offline airnocker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 18:27:00 pm »
Sorry, but I wasn't at my computer when I suggested the Slope method.  The Profile parameter is termed "Side Profile", the Method is "Slope".

See screenshot:

airnocker

Offline Bubba

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 19:03:50 pm »
Here it is SAMPLE for you to play around with. Check out the CB file, it will give you an idea how I used it. The profile MOP was set to use 1/8 dia ballnose. Good Luck.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 20:55:22 pm by Bubba »
My 2¢

Win10 (64 bit, CB(1.0)rc 1(64 bit) Mach3, ESS, G540, Endurance Laser.

Offline airnocker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 19:44:21 pm »
Jaydee,
CamBam's "2.5D" capabilities will serve for most jobs.  Explore all of them, before you commit to buying and learning a new, complex 3D package!

Lloyd

Lloyd, I've tried looking into this in the past and it seems that one still needs some software app for creating 3DS and/or STL files that describe the object.  What examples can you provide that fall under "for most jobs"?

Many thanks,
airnocker

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 19:57:58 pm »
Knocker,
I can't supply drawings or pictures, because all the designs I manufacture are proprietary to the customers for whom I do them.

But I've done LOTS of 'sloped sides' and sloped+contoured-bottom forms for customers' casting molds, all using CB's 2.5D capabilities.

I have done many hundreds of projects in 2D and 2.5D, but only a small shoebox full of projects that required a 'true' 3D package.  I find them a pain to learn (and re-learn, as infrequently as I need them).

Lloyd

Offline airnocker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 20:08:26 pm »
Knocker,
I can't supply drawings or pictures, because all the designs I manufacture are proprietary to the customers for whom I do them.

But I've done LOTS of 'sloped sides' and sloped+contoured-bottom forms for customers' casting molds, all using CB's 2.5D capabilities.

I have done many hundreds of projects in 2D and 2.5D, but only a small shoebox full of projects that required a 'true' 3D package.  I find them a pain to learn (and re-learn, as infrequently as I need them).

Lloyd

Verbal description of examples works perfectly.  So are you then referring to the Profile MOP's "Side Profile" feature?  I've used that in the past, back in 2011 I made my 2nd DIY CNC table, for creating timing belt hold-down  and tensioning blocks .  In this example the sloped side profile parameters were perfect for forming a series of rectangular sloped profiles that were mirror images to the timing belts cog profiles.

But, are there other MOPs with this useful type of feature besides the Profile MOP?

airnocker

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 20:54:50 pm »
Ahh... I used the side profile feature, mostly with ball-nosed bits for the sides, to get clean surfaces.  If the bottoms required (often) squaring-up, I'd use a flat cutter on the very bottom.

A lot of my casting molds also have 'reverse embossed' graphics or lettering (so as to make 'embossed' items on the finished casting) which requires a VERY small cutter - often v-formed - to get the lettering or graphics formed accurately.

Similarly, if the inside vertical corners needed to be 'squared', I'd use a TINY ball-nose to do those.

Lloyd