Author Topic: Cutting pockets at full depth  (Read 119 times)

Offline nyracerxxx

• Ewok
    • View Profile
Cutting pockets at full depth
« on: February 19, 2021, 16:23:45 pm »
 Wondering if there is something within CB that will allow me to basically bore a hole with a twist drill, then remove material with an end mill from the side of the bit rather than doing plunges?  Lets say a rectangular hole through a piece of 3/8" alum.  Bore a 5/16 hole, come back with a 1/4" end mill, plunge to -0.390 lets say, make cuts off the side of the end mill, maybe 0.025" at a time. Hope that makes sense...

CR

Offline Dragonfly

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting pockets at full depth
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 17:41:50 pm »

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 18:59:32 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, that can be done without any special plug-ins.  One just sets up an inside-to-out pocketing MOp with full-depth first, with a side-step increment that suits the tool.

I haven't checked yet, to see...

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

Offline Dragonfly

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 19:10:05 pm »
You're right.
It can be done with the 'tooling' CamBam comes with without plugins. Needs good knowledge of  'Profile' MOP features and perhaps combining two 'Profile' MOPs - to do an initial 'well' for the tool and then use 'Cut width' parameter to expand outwards. And some calculations, as well.

Offline kvom

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 13:08:17 pm »
No need to start with a drill.  Center cutting endmill can do a straight plunge, or else drill MOP with spiral path.