Author Topic: A hopefully successful project! Pyrotechnics  (Read 500 times)

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
A hopefully successful project! Pyrotechnics
« on: April 02, 2021, 15:23:41 pm »
I just finished a fairly-long development project for dye-based, automatic machine-pressed smoke stars for a client.

There are a handful of conflicting requirements when machine pressing, over manually pressing; among them guaranteed metal-to-metal friction that can ignite the compositions.

He told me "Except for the dye mess, they were the easiest-pressing stars we've made."

https://fb.watch/4CXvfBPc_B/

The stars are drying now -- testing Monday! Wish us luck!!! <grin>

Oh... the CamBam hookup is that I designed and built all the sample pressing devices for several sizes and geometries of stars using CB, and they all worked right out of the machine!

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

Offline dave benson

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: A hopefully successful project! Pyrotechnics
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 22:36:09 pm »
Good Luck.

But I hope luck has no place in a plant like that, unless you want unscheduled rapid disassembly and free air travel to the next county.
The underling equipment looks like the capping line off a bottling plant.

Dave

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 23:40:11 pm »
Nah, Dave,
I meant for you to wish us good luck on the 'burn tests'.

You're right -- luck has NOTHING to do with safety in a pyrotechnics factory.  It's by the numbers ALL the time, or you're dead.

I managed such a plant for eleven years.  We had a number of near-misses, but no bad injuries or property damage.

The equipment shown is a pharmaceutical tablet press, with a few modifications to make it safer and more-productive for making pyrotechnic 'tablets', instead of drugs.

Lloyd

Offline dave benson

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 01:38:09 am »
The equipment shown is a pharmaceutical tablet press
Makes sense.
I'm assuming that the press is running so sedately (for a pill press), because the
packing friction could cause the explosive to ignite at higher speeds.
If this is a case make you haven't used a plc with this serial number. :)
Dave

Offline Dragonfly

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 09:06:10 am »
Congratulations!
I didn't quite get what are those pills for but I hope to see a video of the testing. :)

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 11:05:15 am »
Dave,
You're right on the speed vs. friction issue -- more-especially with chlorate-oxidized daylight smoke stars.

But on the PLC issue... no problem.  All of his units are the older, purely-mechanical types, mostly dating back to the '60s and '70s.  They use variable-pitch pulleys to control speed. Except for sealed controlled-reluctance rotations counters, there are no electronics on any of his presses.

Fly, those are "daylight smoke stars" used in stage work or proximate-audience daytime fireworks displays.  The ones shown leave a brilliant deep red 'tail' of smoke behind each star, when the stars are lit and propelled through the air.

I worked up the formulae for this client to make all the colors of the rainbow, though I'm betting he'll settle on a handful of 'primary colors', and not worry about intermediate mixed colors.

I think it's kind of neat that CamBam reaches into so many different endeavors!