Author Topic: CODE MOP  (Read 238 times)

Offline Bob La Londe

• CNC Jedi
  • ^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.
    • View Profile
    • CNC Molds N Stuff
CODE MOP
« on: May 11, 2021, 15:24:40 pm »
I know this is not absolutely necessary as the operations all have the ability to manually enter code in the header and footer.  The problem is that by doing so its hard to keep track of what is where when planning a job.  There is no obvious visual indicator as to where this extra code has been inserted unless you double check each operation.  When you are fighting with fine details of  20-50 complex operations and moving things around for best efficiency that can cause as many problems as it solves. 

Yes I know some folks run short jobs and dry run every single line of code in real time cutting air.  I can't find the time to do that.  A broken tool once in a while costs less than wasting half my time air cutting job after job after job.  Please lets not go there. 

Sometimes its just about making a job I did more efficient.  One I did months ago, and now the customer wants ten duplicate items.  I can't remember those not obviously visible details from a job I did a year ago.    Particularly if now instead of cutting one I am cutting several simultaneously 4 on a pallet or even 16 on a 4 sided horizontal axis tombstone all in a single setup.

A simple code insertion MOP would be very helpful for odd things like that.  When you open the MOP the only thing in it is a text area field for manually writing some code.  Then you could insert code as simple or as complex as you like.  Keep the code boxes for other MOPs for header and footer inserted code.  They are very useful.  I have whole libraries of styles with setup and finish code that they are used every tie that style is used.  Stuff I don't need to see or remember is there.  Just add an independent MOP for job specific code also. 

My goal is to always maximize the amount of time a machine is actually working when its turned on, and minimize the number of times I have to walk into the machine room and change a tool.  Yes, an ATC would help with that, but my first experience with an ATC ended with an expensive piece of hardware laying on the floor until I sold it to somebody who had the time to figure out what the manufacturer did wrong.  An ATC is still not faster than using the same tool multiple times before changing tools.  Atleast not one I can afford.

I realize this will not be a high priority addition for many people, but I do not believe it would be a high workload operation to create either.  I also believe its been requested or suggest in some form a couple times in the past. 
Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: CODE MOP
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 16:16:54 pm »
Bob,
I agree.  I'd just add that if a 'visual indicator' were placed on every MOp that contains custom code, it would be LOTS easier to review old files for the changes one made manually.

Maybe something as simple as just changing the color of the MOp's name.

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

Offline Bubba

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 20:10:26 pm »
Agree it would be useful feature. I also would like to see place for me to enter possible XY '0' location (often use center of part or the edges), and Z '0', often use stock surface or table top..   
My 2ยข

Win10 (64 bit, CB(1.0)rc 1(64 bit) Mach3, ESS, G540, Endurance Laser.

Offline Bob La Londe

• CNC Jedi
  • ^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.
    • View Profile
    • CNC Molds N Stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 00:44:32 am »
An alternative that I have used is to write code snippets in a text editor and save them as nc files to be imported into job files, but I can't easily and quickly edit those within the job file when I'm working on a job.
Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com