Author Topic: Help - Looking for - Working with STL files tutorial  (Read 753 times)

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Help - Looking for - Working with STL files tutorial
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2021, 13:46:07 pm »
If I am reading this correctly, is this the kind of thing that you are looking to do ? I just converted to dxf  (2D) and moved the 0,0 to the top left corner. Please ignore me if I'm on the wrong track completely  :'(

After all the help I've had on this forum, I would be elated if I was able to give something back  8)

That was an excellent start but to be useful it then needed further treatment as per attached updated file.

In any event the video posted earlier by David showed the whole process from start to finish that Dave_S needs to follow, assuming he returns to the forum.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 13:49:34 pm by EddyCurrent »
Made in England

Offline needleworks

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2021, 14:38:25 pm »
If I am reading this correctly, is this the kind of thing that you are looking to do ? I just converted to dxf  (2D) and moved the 0,0 to the top left corner. Please ignore me if I'm on the wrong track completely  :'(

After all the help I've had on this forum, I would be elated if I was able to give something back  8)

That was an excellent start but to be useful it then needed further treatment as per attached updated file.

In any event the video posted earlier by David showed the whole process from start to finish that Dave_S needs to follow, assuming he returns to the forum.

Ah, yes I can see that Now Eddy. I am assuming you done that using "layers" something else I have yet to learn  ::)

Offline Dave_S

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2021, 02:53:20 am »
Hi All, thanks again for all the help.

I have licensed the software so there should not be any issues with the program.

I've spent the morning tiring to get the plugins to load without luck.

• I downloaded the zip files to a non-administrator folder
    Unzip directly to CamBam/plugins
    Didn't recognize the dll's
    Went into dll properties, hit unblock, it seemed to work but when I repeat the properties to test it said "Unblock" again so I assume it didn't stick
    Logged into computer as Administrator
    Tried the same again and this time "Unblock" didn't come back so I assumed it stuck, Open CamBam but it didn't load the plugins
    Unzip downloads to non-administrator folder
    As administrator hit Unblock, check it seemed to stick
    Moved dll's to CamBam/Plugins and replaced the old dll's with the new ones
    Check Unblocked, all seems good
    Open CamBam but it didn't load the plugins

Any tips on what I should try next ?

Thanks
Dave

Offline dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam V1.0 French Doc
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2021, 05:15:30 am »
Hello

Unzip directly to CamBam/plugins

You must unzip the file in the folder you've permission ; ex: your "Documents" folder, then unblock the DLL, and when it is unblocked, you can move the DLL to the plugin folder.

++
David

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2021, 06:15:01 am »
1. If you are getting error messages regarding plugins in the bottom window then it's most likely an "unblock" issue.
2. Not all plugins end up in the "Plugins" dropdown. e.g. the Numerical Move/Rotate plugin is loacated in "Edit->Transform"
Made in England

Offline Dave_S

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2021, 04:00:34 am »
Hi all

Thanks for all your help, your help turned into a part🙂, needs some work on speeds and feeds and types of bits but it's a useable part.

Thanks again.

I ended up producing 4 seperate files, one for each tool change. I see where you can add a prefix or suffix to a string of code. Can I add a string that will take it back to XYZ zero so I can change the tool and re-probe it, so it can all sit on one file ?

Offline dave benson

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2021, 12:08:31 pm »
HI Dave_S

Click on the system tab then, click on your post processor, then scroll to the bottom of the info panel
and click into the Tool Change textbox.
A edit panel will pop up where you can then enter something like G0 x0 y0 Z30 into the line before
T[$tool.index} M6
Don't use Z=0 else you will drag the tool across your work piece.

Dave

Offline JG

• Storm Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2021, 14:40:08 pm »
... enter something like G0 x0 y0 Z30 into the line before
T[$tool.index} M6
Don't use Z=0 else you will drag the tool across your work piece.
Would it not be better to two lines such as :

G0 Z30
X0 Y0

to make sure that the Z axis instruction is carried out first to avoid any possibility of a collision with the work-piece?

Using a single line I think that the tool-tip path will take an inclined line.

Offline dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam V1.0 French Doc
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2021, 16:18:41 pm »
Hello

+1

++
David

Offline dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam V1.0 French Doc
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2021, 18:52:35 pm »
the trial version works as the licensed one up to the 40 run ... then the plugin menu disappears totally ; a good way to be sure if plugins can works or not.

@Dave: if you can share your part as STEP file (compressed in zip for the forum to accept the file) I can try to do a short video.

++
David

Hello

correction  :-[, on the V1 the Plugin menu do not disappears when the evaluation period is over, it said "plugins disabled"

++
David

Offline dave benson

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2021, 01:08:00 am »
HI JG
G0 Z30
X0 Y0

to make sure that the Z axis instruction is carried out first to avoid any possibility of a collision with the work-piece?

No you don't as your already at the clearance plane.
If your using Mach3 and no tool changer on a mill then the tool will stop at the clearance plane.
This is why my tool change macro is unchanged, that and because my PP calls a post processor treatment
which does collision detection.
I then raise the tool to a safe height to change the tool and indicate it in, press the start button
and Mach3 will move back to the work piece and carry on. some other controllers don't do this
Centroid\GRBL for example and this is why I don't have it the tool change macro at all for Mach3.

A case where you might want to (move up to a safe Z distance ) do this is for example Bubba has a router and indicates from the
table top not the top of the stock.
Here you would issue a G28 instead (not many people realize it's a two step function)
if supplied with the extra co-ordinates.

Dave

Offline Dave_S

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2021, 01:44:07 am »
Hi all, Thanks

My screen looks a bit different. If I load the G0 X0 Y0 Z30. It will look like this,

{$clearance}{$comment} G0 X0 Y0 Z30 T{$tool.index} : {$tool.diameter} {$endcomment}T{$tool.index} M6

Do I need any punctuation or parenthesis.

In GRBL what will happen at the end of the string? I'm hoping it will.... go to clearance height, go to X0 Y0 Z+30, pause, allow me to change the tool, probe the height, then let me click "unpause" and it will resume.

Thanks
Dave

Offline dave benson

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2021, 02:42:03 am »
Hi Dave_S

What you've done wont do anything because you have entered your values
in the comments section of the PP, that is between the {$comment} and {$endcomment}
directives.

Once having clicked into the Tool Table Item textbox, a small square with three dots will appear.
click on that and a text editor will pop up like in the pic.
Here you can see more clearly what you are doing.

As you are new to modifying post processors, I would recommend that you download and install
GRBLMachine which has tool changes (and many other things) already configured for you.
This plugin is very good and will make your (getting started with GRBL and CNC'ing with a router experience)
painless.

Dave

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2021, 11:56:29 am »
"What you've done wont do anything because you have entered your values
in the comments section of the PP, that is between the {$comment} and {$endcomment}
directives."

Dave, there's a move to {$clearance} BEFORE the comment begins, and an actual toolchange AFTER the comment ends.

My take on that is that the comment is there simply to tell the operator what just happened, and what tool to mount.

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

Offline dave benson

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2021, 12:41:59 pm »
Hi Lloyd

No the pic in post 42 has the original CB GRBL post processor (nothing is going to happen)
as everything is in between comment directives, it's skeleton code for the op to change
to what ever they want to suit their particular needs.

For example in the pic, is an example of a tool change macro from GRBLExtended (the Drilling plugin) I made a while ago.
This is how they are properly formatted.

Dave_S has inadvertently put the 'go to' tool change position in the comments section.
I Strongly urge Dave and everyone else new to CB and using GRBL to use GRBLMachine plugin
as this and many other things are very well handled by the plugin where everything has been
pre-configured making for a hassle free set up and running.

Post processors can cause a lot of headaches, for example even having an extra space where it shouldn’t be can cause things to fail without giving any indication except things just don't work.

Dave