Author Topic: Problems with DXF file  (Read 923 times)

Offline daffyduck

• Ewok
    • View Profile
Problems with DXF file
« on: August 08, 2021, 19:10:53 pm »
Hello,

I am problems generating a profile cut with this DXF.  The DXS is generated in FreeCAD.  It doesn't recognize the line segments in the arcs.  It also calculates an inside cut when I specify outside cut.  I recreated the top left arc (instead of individual segments) and it's the only thing that will calculate properly.  I rather not to have to recreate each profile inside of CamBam that I import.  At the moment however that seems to be the only option with this file (or should I say format of this  DXF).

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!   :-)

Offline daffyduck

• Ewok
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with DXF file
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 19:12:42 pm »
Forgot to add the DXF

Offline dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam V1.0 French Doc
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 14:08:09 pm »
Hello

Your problem is because the lines are not joined ; select all the line on the screen and use Edit/join to get an unique polyline, then add a machining operation to this polyline.

Have a look on this thread

https://cambamcnc.com/forum/index.php?topic=1624.0

++
David
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 14:10:42 pm by dh42 »

Offline daffyduck

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 16:05:59 pm »
Thanks David!

What I also didn't realize that upon import I had multiple overlapping lines which was really messing with the toolpath.  I cleaned them and also followed your guidance.  Problem solved!  Thank you so much :-)

Offline Garyhlucas

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 22:28:17 pm »
Note that a polyline has a direction.  So for an open profile inside and outside refer to this direction. You can change the direction as needed.  I often cut a round surface by using a spiral inwards which is very efficient because the stepover is constant and the feed rate is constant.  However spirals are generated from the center so it want to plunge into the center so I change the direction.
Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/