Author Topic: Advice - - - - - - - Again!  (Read 247 times)

Offline needleworks

• Ewok
    • View Profile
Advice - - - - - - - Again!
« on: August 19, 2021, 19:46:31 pm »
Once again guys I am in need of a little help. I am trying to make a small reversing screw, and have drawn this dxf. It is 20mm diam x 30mm long. I had planned on 3 turns of the thread, therefore giving it a 10mm pitch. I then planned to do a simple engraving mop using a 2mm cutter and going 2mm deep. After doing right hand thread, I would then do the left hand thread. This operation is being done on the mill using a 4th axis.

Now I have already made the part, and it came out fine, but how do I get it to do one continuous cut along the entire length of the piece instead of 3 x individual cuts ?

I should mention that I have made this part previously, but it was a long time ago and I can't remember how I done it.

Offline dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam V1.0 French Doc
Re: Advice - - - - - - - Again!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 19:59:31 pm »
Hello

but how do I get it to do one continuous cut along the entire length of the piece instead of 3 x individual cuts ?

Can you share your .cb file ; I don't understand with only the DXF

++
David

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 20:37:31 pm »
I see from your dxf that the length is correct for 20mm diameter so it looks like you used this plugin; http://www.atelier-des-fougeres.fr/Cambam/Aide/Plugins/Wrapper_plugin.html
How to get one continuous cut escapes me at the moment but I would think if you made an Engrave MOp and put all three lines 5,6,7 into it with "Optimisation Mode = None" , then it should cut them in that order one after the other.
Made in England

Offline needleworks

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 20:38:35 pm »
Hello

but how do I get it to do one continuous cut along the entire length of the piece instead of 3 x individual cuts ?

Can you share your .cb file ; I don't understand with only the DXF

++
David

Apologies David, I should have included it first time round.

Offline dh42

• Administrator
  • CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Cambam V1.0 French Doc
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 21:28:01 pm »
Ah OK, I see ...

With the way you use, the A axis do only a turn, if you want 3 turns and a continuous cut of the thread, you must use a Y size = 3*Pi*Ø so 188.496 for 20mm and only one line for the thread, and in the wrapper plugin you set a rotation = 3*360° = 1080

For the settings in Wrapper plugin, for Mach3 don't forgot the reversed checkbox (not a big problem in your case because the shape is symmetric  ;D)

Be careful, the file I attached use only one pass for clarity on the simulation

++
David
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 21:33:33 pm by dh42 »

Offline needleworks

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 06:17:41 am »
Thanks again David, once again you have helped an old guy out. I will give this a try over the weekend.