Author Topic: date and time wrong  (Read 515 times)

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: date and time wrong
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2021, 01:08:43 am »
AirK,
No... I'm just talking about viewing pages in the browser.  Mozilla seems to work with everything.  Chrome frequently pops up a warning banner, and says something like, "The date and time in your settings is wrong.  Please update date and time".

So, the date and time they report matches my system's, but I go ahead and 'update' it with their button, anyway.  And it makes no difference.  They still report it as wrong.

Then, I go look up the same link in Mozilla, and it works fine, every time.  The only reason I use Chrome at all, is because certain sites I visit are more-readable in it than they are in Moz.

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

Offline airnocker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2021, 01:15:32 am »
AirK,
No... I'm just talking about viewing pages in the browser.  Mozilla seems to work with everything.  Chrome frequently pops up a warning banner, and says something like, "The date and time in your settings is wrong.  Please update date and time".

So, the date and time they report matches my system's, but I go ahead and 'update' it with their button, anyway.  And it makes no difference.  They still report it as wrong.

Then, I go look up the same link in Mozilla, and it works fine, every time.  The only reason I use Chrome at all, is because certain sites I visit are more-readable in it than they are in Moz.

Lloyd

Hmmm, thanks for clarifying.

I'm a long time Chrome/Firefox/Safari user and I've never encountered that in Chrome.  Have you tried clearing your browser cache and history?
airnocker

Everything depends on everything else

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2021, 01:27:06 am »
Yeah, I cleared all cache and history, made sure any unnecessary plugins were disabled... did all the 'standard stuff'.  It's been doing this for at least several months.  I even sent them two or three requests for information about it, which they refuse to answer.

Lloyd

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2021, 01:29:13 am »
Oh, the other thing is, Chrome is MUCH faster than Mozilla on my system.  That's one of the reasons I'd rather use it.  But...

Lloyd

Offline airnocker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2021, 01:52:44 am »
I see, thanks.

In Windows 10 Settings > Time & Language > Date & Time, is "Set time automatically"  turned ON?  Make sure it is.

If it is ON then I'll do more checking.
airnocker

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2021, 01:59:29 am »
Air,
Thanks, but you won't find much.  I'm running an 'unsupported' version of Winblows on this old CNC computer.  Date and Time updates ARE set to 'automatic', and my system always seems to have the correct time, according to my radio-linked clock on the wall in the shop.

Lloyd

Offline airnocker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2021, 02:16:23 am »
You mean like Windows 7?  That's what my CNC machine is controlled by, but I don't connect it to the Internet.
airnocker

Offline Bubba

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2021, 13:13:12 pm »
You mean like Windows 7?  That's what my CNC machine is controlled by, but I don't connect it to the Internet.
+1

Guys, Those problems you are discussing don't exist on my PC, the OS is Win 10 and the browser is chrome.
My 2ยข

Win10 (64 bit, CB(1.0)rc 1(64 bit) Mach3, ESS, G540, Endurance Laser.

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2021, 14:46:04 pm »
AirK,
Yeah, and old OS like that! <grin>

Bubba,
Sure... I don't have Win10 in my shop.  In fact, I don't have any 'shop' computers that would run Win10.  We run it up at the house, on the wife's computer, and she's not having that problem.

In fact, I'm the only person I know having that problem with Chrome.  Like I said, it's not manifest in Mozilla, although things look better in Chrome, and Mozilla is pretty slow on this old OS.

Lloyd

Offline airnocker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2021, 01:18:43 am »
AirK,
Yeah, and old OS like that! <grin>

Lloyd

(you're running XP aren't ya'   ;D ;D ;D)

airnocker

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2021, 01:43:13 am »
Heh!  Yep... with ALL updates turned off, and all unnecessary extensions disabled.  All my machines have been ROCK-solid, except for this one exacerbating problem with Chrome on this one -- and only Chrome.

I have five CNC devices, and every line of code for three different post-processors works every time.  So long as that's the case, I see no reason to replace these six computers and update to a new OS.  (The sixth one is my CAD/CAM machine, from which I'm posting.)

And, since I stay well and frequently backed-up, and since these old CPUs are a dime-a-dozen (and still readily-available), I have an essentially endless supply of replacements, if something ugly like a lightning strike should occur.

Lloyd

Offline airnocker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2021, 02:03:47 am »
If it works, don't fix it, my dad used to say.

So the problem with Chrome you experience stems from Google no longer supporting today's Chrome (if that's the version you are using) with XP.  That all ended back in 2016.  Find a version of Chrome from 2014 or earlier and those messages should stop.
airnocker

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2021, 12:04:53 pm »
Good idea!  I don't know why, but that never occurred to me.

Lloyd

Offline airnocker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2021, 03:34:34 am »
Lloyd, I checked my old Compaq HP NX7010 laptop with XP on it to see if it had an old Chrome setup.exe but it did not.  I didn't have one that goes back on or before 2014 anywhere either.

I believe it had been close to 2 years since I last charged it's batteries and booted it up, but the batteries charged after about an hour and it started right up.  This was my computer I had at the time to first use Mach3/CamBam as a CNC computer when I got started in DIY CNC back in 2008.  XP just always worked.

airnocker

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2021, 12:03:10 pm »
"XP just always worked."
-------------
And, it still does, except for that quirk in Chrome.

I downloaded the correct version of Chrome yesterday, and after I've had a chance to do a full image backup, I'll try reverting to the older version.  I'm aware that it's a task, and that not much of my present contacts or other information will be preserved.

AS SOON as it's running, I'll be disabling its ability to update again.

Lloyd