Author Topic: mach4 compatibility?  (Read 152 times)

Offline kpelley

• Ewok
    • View Profile
mach4 compatibility?
« on: November 22, 2021, 14:26:10 pm »
I am a hobbyist, new to CNC, and trying to piece together hardware/software to drive a custom CNC router.  As I understand it, CamBam accepts a .dxf file format then generates the tool path information (gcode) in a .nc format.  The next downstream component is the post-processor.  I would like to use mach4.  Is CamBam compatible with mach4?  Any post-processor recommendations?  Many thanks for your help, -Ken

Offline Bob La Londe

• CNC Jedi
  • ^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.
    • View Profile
    • CNC Molds N Stuff
Re: mach4 compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 18:30:31 pm »
Atleast a couple members are using Mach 4.  As far as I know Mach 4 uses all the same standard Fanuc G-Codes as Mach 3.  Unfortunately I am not running Mach 4, so I can't give first hand feedback.  It may implement some additional codes int he set that appear to not be implemented in Mach 3, but that should not be an issue. 

CamBam can work with DXF, STL, and STP files.  For straight 2D DXF work I usually just create all the 2D geometry in CamBam. 
Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com

Offline kpelley

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 20:04:13 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I am choosing mach4 to run on my laptop with Win 10 & USB connectivity.  Do you recommend any other post processors that integrate well (easily) with CamBam or is mach4 a good option?

Offline Bob La Londe

• CNC Jedi
  • ^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.
    • View Profile
    • CNC Molds N Stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 22:52:52 pm »
Mach 4 and Mach 3 are not post-processors. They are the software that controls your machine. They are control software. Where you may find it confusing is that many CAM programs just name their post processors the same as the control program that they are intended to be used with.

Generally speaking CAD draws the pretty pictures.  CAM allows you to lay out the operations to cut the job.  Post processors work with the CAM software to create code files that are suitable to be used with a particular machine.

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com

Offline kpelley

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 19:24:08 pm »
Clearly, I have a lot to learn.  Can anyone recommend compatible components and software downstream of CamBam for a hobbyist? This might be too much to ask of a forum.... any good tutorials out there?

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 20:40:01 pm »
1. Produce a drawing of your part to machine

Using CamBam with plugins can be enough to produce a drawing for 2D work, in fact some 3D objects can also be created withing CamBam.
For anything more sophisticated, other graphics software may be required, I use "Rhino 3D" but there are plenty of alternatives.
e.g. FreeCAD

2. produce the g-code

As well as creating drawings directly inside CamBam it can also import a variety of formats from external sources.
From the geometry, CamBam will generate g-code, the dialect of which needs to match your machine.
This is where the Post Processor comes in, it translates what I'll call standard g-gode into the dialect your machine control software understands.

3. load the g-code into your machine controller.

There are many controllers to choose from, I use Mach3 so my choice of Post Processor in CamBam is "Mach3"
Mach3 is software based so uses a PC that communicates to the machine hardware via a break out board (bob),  stepper motor drivers, etc.

You may find this forum useful for a lot of your questions; http://www.mycncuk.com/
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 20:47:46 pm by EddyCurrent »
Made in England