Author Topic: My New Years Resolution was...  (Read 298 times)

Offline airnocker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
My New Years Resolution was...
« on: January 02, 2022, 23:10:52 pm »
...to finally try and use the green Frog painters tape and Super Glue method I learned about on this forum to hold-down work to mill.

It worked great for holding down a scrap of poly faux-wood flooring being repurposed for a dog bowl holder.  I thrilled with how well this method works.  Next is cutting out some hole profiles in some 10" x 10" x .090" acrylic sheets.

My DIY CNC machine's sacrificial board is 3/4" MDF fine grain that has been surfaced smooth.  I put the tape on that surface, burnished it in with a block of HDPE, did the same thing on the backside of the poly flooring plank scrap and put a few drops of Super Glue on the table's tape and laid the scrap plank in place and put a small amount of weight on it to press it down for about 10 minutes.

I also mount a large piece of white HPDE that is surfaced flat and has one 90 deg lip on two adjacent sides to seat work pieces square to the machine XY axis.  The tape method works great with it as well.

I love it!
airnocker

Everything depends on everything else

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
  • Made in England
    • View Profile
Re: My New Years Resolution was...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 10:25:05 am »
Why is it better than double sided tape ?
Filmed in Supermarionation

Offline Dragonfly

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 10:34:02 am »
Since I discovered this method I've been using it on everyday basis.
There are some limitation connected with part footprint and applied cutting force. Especially with Aluminum where care must be taken to not allow the part to get warmer than roughly 40*C.
Otherwise it's a great method to mill/cut outer shapes without holding tabs. For larger holes and other inside profiles I usually mill out the whole material because if some small footprint kernel remains it will detach at the end of the cutting and flies away hitting or even breaking the tool.

Offline Dragonfly

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 10:37:35 am »
Very easy to remove after the job is done.

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
  • Made in England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 12:37:24 pm »
Very easy to remove after the job is done.

There are similar double sided tapes usually called, "removable" or "low tack"

Normally I would use "removeable" but tapes I looked at used the other spelling.
Filmed in Supermarionation

Offline airnocker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 19:11:41 pm »

Good question.  I've no idea and only know of Scotch double-sided tape which I've used for things unrelated to CNC work.  This Scotch stuff I have would be a pain to clean off.  What double sided tape do you use?

I don't do metal milling at all except for thin aluminum panels and copper PCB, certainly nothing that requires liquid cooling as it would turn my CNC table into mush.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 19:14:20 pm by airnocker »
airnocker

Everything depends on everything else

Offline Bob La Londe

• CNC Jedi
  • ^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.
    • View Profile
    • CNC Molds N Stuff
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 19:01:43 pm »
I only started using Frog tape because it is slightly more water resistant than blue tape.  I try to avoid those types of jobs because its almost always for somebody who doesn't appreciate the value of my time. 

I don't really have any resolutions.  I have a goal.  A while back a friend of mine tried to sell me his boat.  I honestly told him his price was fair, but I just didn't have the time to make it seaworthy again.  His son had gutted out a lot of the interior and rigging, and then he had to go away.  My friend would walk out in his driveway, look at the boat and all the work that needed to be done, and piddle around doing nothing for a while before going back in the house.  It took all the heart out of him.  One day he called me up and said I am tied of looking at this boat.  Come get it out of my driveway.  If its sitting in front of your shop I don't have to look at it. 

I finished cleaning out the boat with no particular sense of urgency.  I've got a plan for it, but I was in no rush.  I've got a decent boat for fishing and buddies who periodically invite me out in theirs.  This last fall my friend told me his cancer was back and it was no longer operable.  They have him on chemo, but the prospects are not good long term.  My goal is to get the boat back together enough to get it running and get him back out in it once or twice before he dies.  I'm not doing as well as I would like towards that goal, but I am refnining my plans.  I'll have to rush some stuff, and not do some the way I would like to have a chance.  I'm trying to not have to do to much of it twice.  He very likely may not last out the year.  Probably much sooner before he can't get out. 

First time I met him was through am Internet forum.  We agreed to meet up and go fishing.  I told him I'd pick him up about half hour before sunrise on a dock near where he was staying.  He told me later he was surprised when I actually showed up. 

I repaired his boat trailer and his boat a couple times over the years.  I'm not a great welder, but I got it done.  One day he showed up at my house with a brand new auto darkening welding hood.  I'd never used one before.  That probably did more to improve my welding than any other single thing over the years.  Now I own four of them.

I think the last thing I machined using Frog tape was for my friend mentioned above.  I did it for him for free, but then he paid me going rate for my time to make another one for another friend of his as a gift. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 19:03:58 pm by Bob La Londe »
Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 19:12:35 pm »
Nice, Bob!  Get him out in that boat again!!!  It won't 'cure' him, but it will do wonderful things for his spirit.

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

Offline Bubba

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 20:22:24 pm »
Nice, Bob!  Get him out in that boat again!!!  It won't 'cure' him, but it will do wonderful things for his spirit.

Well said Lloyd I couldn't do better myself.

All the respect Bob for the honorable thing you do.

Cheers.
My 2ยข

Win10 (64 bit, CB(1.0)rc 1(64 bit) Mach3, ESS, G540, Endurance Laser.

Offline Bob La Londe

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • CNC Molds N Stuff
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 22:37:08 pm »
Looks like I took to long... I had the urge to check on my friend today.  I saw he hadn't been on-line on our favorite fishing forum since mid November, so I texted him, and finally I called.  His daughter answered.  He's not dead yet, but it doesn't look like he's getting out of bed again.  Not under his own power.  I'm going to go see him tomorrow, but she warned me not to expect him to be aware of me. 

I'm still going to finish putting the boat together. 

Offline lloydsp

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 22:52:46 pm »
DARN!
L
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

Offline Bob La Londe

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • CNC Molds N Stuff
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2022, 19:25:16 pm »
I'm going to be taking him on his last ride in his boat in a week or so to scatter his ashes. 

I'll have to throw a replacement deck in it quick and tow it, but I'll get him out on the river one last time.