Author Topic: Import DXF file as metric default  (Read 116 times)

Offline Nissim

• Ewok
    • View Profile
Import DXF file as metric default
« on: January 12, 2022, 04:36:18 am »
Good day

When I import dxf file, I get a pop up message asking me if I want to change the unit to inches
I there a way to avoid this pop up message ?

Thank you in advance

Offline airnocker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Import DXF file as metric default
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 06:30:19 am »
If you click on your System tab (next to the Drawing tab) in your screenshot, then select Configuration folder you can set CB's default measurement units to millimeters or inches.  This pop-up message window is informing you that you are importing a drawing that uses inches units of measure that is using the opposite measurement unit to your CB's default setting...do you want CB to change your default to the imported DXF file's unit of measure?

If you want to temporarily open this DFX using inches instead of mm, click No.  If you want CB to change your CB Configuration default units of measure to this alternate one, click Yes.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 06:32:44 am by airnocker »
airnocker

Everything depends on everything else

Offline pixelmaker

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • pixelmaker
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 11:28:58 am »
Hello
in a DXF the system variable INSUNITS is responsible for the drawing units.
INSUNITS = 1 is inches
INSUNITS = 4 is millimetres
INSUNITS = 19 is light years
INSUNITS = 20 = Parsec

There are many programmes that do not write this variable into the file when exporting. CamBam would have to guess which drawing unit is used. The default setting of inches is then used.
Adobe Illustrator, for example, does not write the system variable into the file. Fixed values are used, depending on the export version of the DXF.
If a DXF is exported as version DXF 2004-2013/LT3, the file is opened in CamBam in millimetres. If other formats are exported, the file opens in CB in inches.

Open the DXF in a text editor (not a writing programme). Search for "INSUNIT". If there is a 1 under this variable, the number must be changed to a 4. If the system variable is not in the file, then a different export version for the DXF must be tested.

ralf

Offline Nissim

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 19:51:11 pm »
Thank you very much indeed for your most  informative reply