Author Topic: Dxf for inlay is not right  (Read 636 times)

Offline takeitslow

• Ewok
    • View Profile
Dxf for inlay is not right
« on: February 03, 2022, 08:56:17 am »
Hello

Me again with still some trouble... I can't find out again what's happening.

I've got someone who designed me a logo for my guitar brand.
She send me some illustrator or svg or even a dxf.

First I wanted to cut some mother of pearl to inlay. I created a gcode with "profil" but instead of profiling it straight, the gcode created makes my cnc make some drilling... So, my cutting of the pearl takes about 3 hours or so as the cnc start the profil then stop and seems to makes some drilling, then profil again....

I am not sure that my explanations are quite clear but here's my cb and nc for the "pocket" I wanted to make for the inlaying.
The thing is that I wanted cambam to pocket the thing and instead of making a nc, cambam was just "creating" the nc for about 10 or 15 minutes and then it would stop, unable to create the nc.

So I had the idea of profiling the shape. And the nc it created almost had the same problem as my inlay code: profils then drill, then profil, then drills....

Why can't the cambam just create some clean "profil" lines?

I think that I have some problems with the polylines.

I'm sending you the original cambam of the "pocket" (profil instead!), then the cambam with the work asked and finally  the nc that was created if someone is willing to check this thing.
As the problem is similar, I will also join the cutting of the mother of pearl cambam so you can see the polylines too...

Thanks in advance!!!

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
  • Made in England
    • View Profile
Re: Dxf for inlay is not right
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 09:34:18 am »
Select polylines 2 and 3 then use menu item,

Edit->Polyline->Arc fit     with a tolerance of 0.01
Filmed in Supermarionation

Offline takeitslow

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 10:23:54 am »
Hello EddyCurrent

You saved my day!!!!!!! And my lutherie work too ;D Great thanks to you!!!!!
I followed your advice for the "pocket" and even for the inlay cutting. I created new nc files that seems nice, no more things that look like drilling points. I just have to try them now...

The only thing that doesn't seem to work is creating a pocket (instead of having some inside profil for polylines 2 and 3). For instance, I just selected polylines 2, and then choose some 0.3 tools and tried to create a pocket. Cambam has been turning around and around, working to create the pocket, but just can't finalize it... I even tried it with a 1mm tools hoping it would go fast but nope! I just see the circle and "work in progress"...

If you have an idea for that too that'd be great because if I profil, I would have to finish by hand the pocket with really small chisels or files but the cnced pocket would be just fine to inlay...

Thanks again!!!!!

Edit: after about 5 minutes with 1mm tool, Cambam created me the pocket. So I think that I just have to wait longer for the 0.3mm tool... Doing it over again...

Edit2: pocket with 0.3 tool doesn't work... 15 minutes waiting and nothing... Guess I will have to finish it by hands...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 10:51:29 am by takeitslow »

Offline EddyCurrent

• CNC Jedi
  • Made in England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 10:53:30 am »
Just a tip in case you don't know.

Always cut the inlay first e.g. the mother of pearl.
Now cut the pocket without any clearance, try fitting the inlay, if it's too tight take a very small inside profile cut until it does fit.

I have attached a cb file showing how I would do this.
You can see that even a 0.3mm tool cannot get into all areas, this means you should finish by hand or modify the logo so that a very small tool can get into all the areas.

Also you must have a good reason to set Clearance Height to 20mm otherwise the default 3mm would do.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 11:14:24 am by EddyCurrent »
Filmed in Supermarionation

Offline Dragonfly

• CNC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 16:20:05 pm »
BTW, there is a plugin for modifying the contour of a shape to fit a given tool diameter and make pearl and bed fit.
'Inlay toolpath'

Offline takeitslow

• Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 23:29:52 pm »
Hello again,

EddyCurrent: thanks for your cb. The only thing is that I'm not good enough to understand how you do it really. So I wanted to give it a try but when I tried to edit a nc file, I got a message that the tool 99 was not recognised. So I tried to rename it tool 1, it wouldn't work either... And I also tried to change the size of the tool, 0.3 instead of 1mm, didn't work... But thanks again.

Dragonfly: Didn't know about that. I will have to try to find out how to use it cause right now, just when selecting my polylines, I see some kind of "circles" in the polylines but not in the things I want to make... I will search...

Thanks again for your helping hand!!!!